Henige D. "Discouraging verification: Citation practices across the disciplines" Journal of Scholarly Publishing 37(2): 99-118, January 2006.

Tue Apr 11 17:11:11 EDT 2006

As an advocate for standardized  documentation for fifty years.. I thought
the following paper by David Henige would be of interest to SIG-Metrics
readers.

In this connection see my essay on

“Pageless Documentation: or, What a Difference a Page Makes”
http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/essays/v8p160y1985.pdf

which includes a reprint of

“The Implications of Pageless Documentation”   by Roy P. Fairfield
http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/essays/v8p162y1985.pdf

David Henige : e-mail : dhenige at library.wisc.edu

AUTHOR : Henige, David

TITLE  : Discouraging verification: Citation practices across the
disciplines

SOURCE: Journal of Scholarly Publishing 37(2): 99-118, January 2006.
University of Toronto Press Inc. Toronto

Cited References: 40      Times Cited: 0

Abstract:
The purpose of reference notes in scholarly writing is to provide readers
with the opportunity to learn more about an issue or to test an author's
credibility. As such, they need to include whatever details are necessary
to ensure that access be maximally efficient. These data should always
include page numbers for both quotes and close paraphrases. Unfortunately,
this practice is remarkably uncommon in the sciences and even the social
sciences. Failure to include these data is also a failure of good
epistemological practice.

In the mathematically-predictive hard sciences, citation is usually 2
viewed as a necessary evil(2).

When I failed to locate the cited proposition, I read the book again. Still
unable to find it, I tracked down the author and begged her to give me the
page numbers. With apologies, she admitted that what I sought was not in
the book(3).

Which system is selected by an editor or publisher should be determined by
judgments on its advantages and disadvantages for the expected readership
(4).

Publisher: UNIV TORONTO PRESS INC, JOURNALS DIVISION, 5201 DUFFERIN ST,
DOWNSVIEW, TORONTO, ON M3H 5T8, CANADA

IDS Number: 014AD      ISSN: 1198-9742

CITED REFERENCES :
BRIT MED J 1 : 1334 1978

CHICAGO MANUAL STYLE : 598 2003

J FIELD ARCHAEOLOGY 28 : 477 2001

J INFORMATION ETHICS 3 : 8 1994

*AM PSYCH ASS

PUBL MAN : 120 2001

ADAM D
Journals under pressure: Publish, and be damned...
NATURE 419 : 772 2002

ASANO M
IMPROVEMENT OF THE ACCURACY OF REFERENCES IN THE CANADIAN-JOURNAL-OF-
ANESTHESIA
CANADIAN JOURNAL OF ANAESTHESIA-JOURNAL CANADIEN D ANESTHESIE 42 : 370
1995

BROSS IDJ
50 YEARS FOLLY FRAUD : 1994

CHERNIN E
BRIT MED J 297 : 1062 1988

GEHANNO JFO
Major inaccuracies in articles citing occupational or environmental
medicine papers and their implications
JOURNAL OF THE MEDICAL LIBRARY ASSOCIATION 93 : 118 2005

GIBALDI J
MLA HDB WRITERS RES : 211 1999

GILBERT GN
REFERENCING AS PERSUASION
SOCIAL STUDIES OF SCIENCE 7 : 113 1977

GREGORY J
The popularization and excommunication of Fred Hoyle's "life-from-space"
theory
PUBLIC UNDERSTANDING OF SCIENCE 12 : 25 2003

HENIGE D
HIST AFR 28 : 95 2001

HINCHCLIFF KW
ACCURACY OF REFERENCES AND QUOTATIONS IN VETERINARY JOURNALS
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION 202 : 397 1993

HOFFER PC
PAST IMPERFECT : 141 2004

HOUSTON CS
CBE VIEWS 5 : 13 1982

JEUKEN M
EARTH LIFE SCI EDITI 10 : 6 1980

JUDSON HF
GREAT BETRAYAL FRAUD : 2004

KOCHEN M
HOW WELL DO WE ACKNOWLEDGE INTELLECTUAL DEBTS
JOURNAL OF DOCUMENTATION 43 : 54 1987

LIEBMANN M
Pueblo settlement, architecture, and social change in the Pueblo Revolt
era, AD 1680 to 1696
JOURNAL OF FIELD ARCHAEOLOGY 30 : 45 2005

MACINTYRE S
HIST WARS : 162 2003

MANNE R
WHITEWASH KEITH WIND : 232 2003

MARK EL
B MUS COMP ZOOL HARV 6 : 173 1881

MCLELLAN MF
TRUST, BUT VERIFY - THE ACCURACY OF REFERENCES IN 4 ANESTHESIA JOURNALS
ANESTHESIOLOGY 77 : 185 1992

NISHINA K
ACTA ANAESTHSIOLOGIC 5 : 577 1995

NOVICK P
NOBLE DREAM OBJECTIV : 612 1988

OATES S
MALICE NONE : 1977

OCONNOR M
EDITING SCI BOOKS J : 1978

POPE NN
ACCURACY OF REFERENCES IN 10 LIBRARY-SCIENCE JOURNALS
RQ 32 : 240 1992