RAE Questions

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Tue Apr 4 21:43:43 EDT 2006

I have given lectures to faculty on the use of citation analysis for
purposes of faculty evaluation.  I have always prefaced these lectures with
the comment that I feel guilty in that I may be passing out hand grenades
to  kindergarten students.  Citation analysis can be extraordinarily
destructive if misapplied.  If you take just one department, you can see
the problem.  Even in a department covering a relatively homogeneous field,
you have professors engaged in different specialities of differing size.
Then you have the problem of differing professional age.  Due to these
factors you cannot use raw citation counts, but must compare professors to
an outside set of the same subject specialty and same professional age.
Then you have to standardize the scores for comparative purposes.  Just
defining the subject set can cause horrendous difficulties, as certain
professors may consider a given professor's subject set insignificant in
the first place and unworthy of even being pursued.  I mean, you should
already see the difficulties.  I have always come back from these
experiences clawed to pieces and seeking a hole in which to hide.  It is
more politics and art form than a science.  The trouble with a thing like
the NRC ratings is that it works on gross parameters and misses certain
strengths.  For example, LSU is not highly rated in history and English,
but change the sets to Southern history and Southern literature, and it
suddenly comes out on top.  I am sure that you can invent even more
difficulties.  It is good to study these things, but it is best to analyze
people as individuals rather than in aggregate.  Use of citation analysis
is so provocative, that I have advised the person in charge of serials
cancellations not to use impact factor in any way to analyze journals lest
he be killed by the faculty and, if he does, to hide the fact that he is
doing so.  Facutly do not like outsiders with measures they consider
questionable sticking their noses in what they consider their business.

SB

Loet Leydesdorff <loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET>@listserv.utk.edu> on 04/04/2006
04:15:40 PM

Please respond to ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu>

Sent by:    ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu>