RAE Questions

Stevan Harnad harnad at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Mon Apr 3 15:44:42 EDT 2006

May I point out that the UK's is a *dual* funding system: (1) direct,
peer-reviewed, competitive research proposals, exactly as in the US,
submitted to the UK funding councils (RCUK) plus (2) a much smaller but
significant portion of top-sliced funding, based on the RAE. Stephen
Bensman, below, seems to think it's all RAE. It's not! Not even
mostly. But the RAE top-slice is important too. Is it just a Matthew
effect? Surely not just, but no doubt it is in part, and perhaps it's not
bad to have some longer-term reinforcement of prior productivity:
the length of its tail (its time constant) can be calibrated, but it
is quite possible that the dual system is both more stable, robust and
equitable than an exclusive bid-by-bid horse-race.

Very little of this has been objectively measures and monitored, let
alone calibrated and optimized as it went all along (the excellent NRC
data notwithstanding). Now that the RAE is going metric, all sorts of
new possibilities for enriching, diversifying, monitoring and maximizing
predictivity and validity open up, particularly with a webwide, digital
open-access research database to base it all on.

Keep your mind open open and hold onto your hats because things
should soon be picking up for PostGutenberg Scientometrics!

Stevan Harnad