The purposes of bibliometric research (another newbie / outsider question)

Ruben Urbizagastegui ruben at UCR.EDU
Mon Nov 28 14:13:16 EST 2005

Hello,

First, I think you should try to answer questions like:

* What Bibliometrics is?
* Is it a discipline? If it is a discipline, What is its internal structure?
How it is organized?
* Is it a tool, a Method?
* What makes it different from statistical tools or methods?

The answer to this questions will give you insights to the purposes of
bibliometric research. You will be surprise with the findings.

Good luck.

Ruben Urbizagastegui
University of California, Riverside
University Libraries
P.O. Box 5900
Riverside, California 92517-5900

Jonathan Levitt wrote:

>Adminstrative info for SIGMETRICS (for example unsubscribe):
>http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html
>
>Hi All,
>
>Encouraged by the response that Christina Pikas received to her posting, I
>have decided to follow her example and posted a message.  In common with
>Christina, I hope you'll forgive this question (and maybe answer it!).
>
>As part of my postgraduate research, I am conducting a three-stage
>investigation of the purposes of bibliometric research:
>Stage 1: I emailed a sample of bibliometric researchers asking 'What do you
>consider to be the main purposes of bibliometric research?'
>Stage 2: I collated these responses to form a set of purposes that contains
>all the purposes that I received in Stage 1.
>Stage 3: I plan to survey a larger sample of bibliometric researchers than
>in Stage 1 asking them to rate on a Likert scale my list of purposes.
>
>I have completed Stages 1 and 2 and, before implementing Stage 3, would be
>very grateful for feedback on my purposes of bibliometrics (for instance,
>purposes that I have omitted or revised wording of my purposes).
>
>I suggest (in alphabetical order) nine purposes:
>"Bibliometric research seeks to develop and use tools for measuring and
>mapping:
>(a)  Interrelationships between different branches of knowledge.
>(b)  The development of knowledge.
>(c)  The extent of internationalisation of research.
>(d)  The extent of research collaboration.
>(e)  The literature in research topics.
>(f)  The research productivity of countries.
>(g)  The research productivity of individuals.
>(h)  The research productivity of teams.
>(i)  The use of knowledge."
>
>I would be very grateful to receive any feedback that cannot prejudice
>Stage 3 of my investigation (for instance, please don't send your Likert
>scale rating of my purposes to this list).
>
>Thank you very much,
>Jonathan Levitt,
>Research Student,
>University College London.
------------
>Wanadoo vous informe que cet  e-mail a ete controle par l'anti-virus mail.
>Aucun virus connu a ce jour par nos services n'a ete detecte.

Dr. Michel J. Menou
Consultant in ICT policies and Knowledge & Information Management
Adviser of Somos at Telecentros board http://www.tele-centros.org
Member of the founding steering committee of
Telecenters of the Americas Partnership http://www.tele-centers.net/
B.P. 15
49350 Les Rosiers sur Loire, France
Email: Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr