The Chronicle, 18 November 2005

Sloan, Bernie bernies at UILLINOIS.EDU
Wed Nov 16 16:57:24 EST 2005

Just curious as to whether Steve and/or Loet are sending their reactions
to the Chronicle?

Bernie Sloan

-----Original Message-----
From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
[mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU] On Behalf Of Stephen J Bensman
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 8:42 AM
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] The Chronicle, 18 November 2005

Since Loet has cited me, I should like to make some comments on
Monastersky's article and some of my findings on impact factor.

Monastersky interviewed me for that article, and, luckily for me, he did
not directly quote me on some of the things I had to say about impact
factor and academic evaluations.  In general, I found his article to be
unfair, since he concentrated on the shenanigans that are being played
with
impact factor and supposed errors of ISI in constructing impact factor.
This makes for good copy but bad science.  Even the title of his article
is
that of a grade B horror film like "The Blob That Ate New York."  There
are
difficulties with impact factor, but these are not the result of
editor's
shenanigans and ISI mistakes.  This would be obvious to anybody who has
correlated ISI citations with other measures of importance such as peer
ratings of academic programs.  I have obtained correlations in the 0.9
range, showing that ISI citations are virtually the equivalent of peer
ratings and have all the social biases of these ratings.  ISI citations
are
not hard measures of quality but, in many respects, fuzzy outward
manifestations of a social stratification system operative in the human
mind.

In using any citation measure you should be absolutely clear as to your
goal in using them.  Journal importance is a multifaceted phenomenon,
and
different citation measures will capture different facets of this
importance.  For example, I have always obtained much higher
correlations
of ISI total citations with expert ratings of journals, because both
these
measures are multidimensional and unlimited by elements of size and
time.
Therefore, ISI total citations captures the historical importance of
journals, which is usually what scientists rate when asked to rank
journals
by importance.  However, if I were to measure current importance, then I
probably would use some form of impact factor within strictly defined
journal types and disciplines so that, for example, chemistry research
journals would be compared to chemistry research journals and chemistry
review journals would be compared to chemistry review journals.  As
another
example, if I were convinced that review articles are the epitome of
scientific writing, then I would use the standard impact factor.  One
must
always keep in mind that there facets of journal importance that cannot
be
captured by any citation measure but can be captured by other measures
such
as library use, number of library holdings, or surveys of users.

In one respect Monastersky was right.  The use of impact factor for
purposes of academic evaluation is absolute madness as is any attempt to
construct a single citation measure that would capture precisely all
facets
of journal importance.  No citation measure should be used unless its
characteristics have been explored by correlations with the results of
opinion surveys of those persons whom the citation measure concerns.  To
do
otherwise is dictatorial.

I have ended my sermon for today.

Steve B.

Loet Leydesdorff <loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET>@LISTSERV.UTK.EDU> on 11/16/2005
12852:51 AM

Please respond to ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>

Sent by:    ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>