Lockett A. McWilliams A. "The balance of trade between disciplines - do we effectively manage knowledge?" Journal of Management Inquiry 14(2): 139-150 June 2005.

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSON.COM
Tue Jul 12 14:11:02 EDT 2005

Andy Lockett : andy.locket at nottingham.ac.uk

Abby McWilliams : abby at uic.edu

Title: The balance of trade between disciplines -
       Do we effectively manage knowledge?

Author(s): Lockett A, McWilliams A

Source: JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT INQUIRY 14 (2): 139-150 JUN 2005

Document Type: Article    Language: English
Cited References: 16      Times Cited: 1

Abstract:
This study was motivated by the admonition of Professor Hambrick, as
president of the Academy of Management, that the field does not "matter"
much. One reason for this may be that management scholars have not done a
good job of disseminating knowledge to scholars in related fields. The
article examines this proposition by assessing the citation patterns
between management journals and journals in the related social sciences
(citations received and citations sent). Results indicate that management
continues to run a significant balance-of-trade deficit with economics,
psychology, and sociology. Management exports a significant (but small)
amount of knowledge only to psychology, while importing a significant
amount from economics, psychology, and sociology. Results indicate that
there is much work to be done to improve our management of knowledge,
relative to the social sciences.

Addresses: Lockett A (reprint author), Univ Nottingham, Sch Business,
Nottingham, NG7 2RD England
Univ Nottingham, Sch Business, Nottingham, NG7 2RD England
Univ Illinois, Managerial Studies Dept, Chicago, IL 60680 USA

E-mail Addresses: andy.locket at nottingham.ac.uk, abby at uic.edu

Publisher: SAGE PUBLICATIONS INC, 2455 TELLER RD, THOUSAND OAKS, CA 91320
USA

IDS Number: 925SB
ISSN: 1056-4926

Cited References:
BOTT DM, 1991, AM SOCIOL, V22, P147.
BROAD W, 1982, BETRAYERS TRUTH FRAU.
COLE J, 1973, SOCIAL STRATIFICATIO.
GARFIELD E, 1982, CURRENT CONTENTS, V5.
HAMBRICK DC, 1994, ACAD MANAGE REV, V19, P11.
HAMILTON DP, 1990, SCIENCE, V250, P1331.
JOHNSON JL, 1994, ACAD MANAGE J, V37, P1392.
KAY J, 1993, FDN CORPORATE SUCCES.
LABAND DN, 1994, J ECON LIT, V32, P640.
LIEBOWITZ SJ, 1984, J ECON LIT, V22, P77.
MULLINS NC, 1977, AM SOCIOL REV, V42, P552.
PIETERS R, 2002, J ECON LIT, V40, P483.
STIGLER GJ, 1995, J POLIT ECON, V103, P331.
SULLIVAN D, 1977, SOC STUD SCI, V7, P223.
TAHAI A, 1999, STRATEGIC MANAGE J, V20, P279.
ZUCKERMAN H, 1977, SCI ELITE NOBEL LAUR.