Newman, MEJ "Power laws, Pareto distributions and Zipf's law" Contemporary Physics 46 (5). SEP-OCT 2005. p.323-351

Quentin L. Burrell quentinburrell at MANX.NET
Thu Dec 15 16:12:45 EST 2005

Eugene

Many thanks for this.

I contacted Mark Newman and you can find this among his other publications
at

  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/pubs.html

It is a survey article and - after a quick look - seems worth further study.
I particularly liked the fact that he acknowledges that these laws usually
apply only to the upper tails of the distributions to which they are
applied. This is a point that has always worried me in informetric
applications where people are too quick to claim a straight line in the
log-log graph.

 Incidentally, Derek Price's foundation paper is mentioned but nothing else
from the informetrics field! We need greater impact!

Seasonal greetings to all

Quentin

Dr Quentin L Burrell
Isle of Man International Business School
The Nunnery
Old Castletown Road
Douglas
Isle of Man IM2 1QB