Palacios-Huerta, I; Volij, O "The measurement of intellectual influence" ECONOMETRICA, 72 (3): 963-977 MAY 2004

Wed Sep 29 15:02:25 EDT 2004

Ignacio Palacios-Huerta : ipalacios at brown.edu
      website : http://www.econ.brown.edu/~iph/

Oscar Volij   : oscar at volij.co.il
      website : http://volij.co.il

FULL TEXT OF THIS ARTICLE IS AVAILABLE AT :

http://www.econ.brown.edu/~iph/pdf/Intellectualinfluence.pdf

Author(s): Palacios-Huerta, I; Volij, O

Title: The measurement of intellectual influence

Source: ECONOMETRICA, 72 (3): 963-977 MAY 2004

Language: English      Document Type: Article

Abstract:
This paper examines the problem of measuring intellectual influence based on
data on citations between scholarly publications. We follow an axiomatic
approach and find that the properties of invariance to reference intensity,
weak homogeneity, weak consistency, and invariance to splitting of journals
characterize a unique ranking method. This method is different from those
regularly used in economics and other social sciences.

ADDITIONAL SUMMARY PROVIDED BY AUTHORS:
We examine the problem of measuring influence based on the information
contained in the data on communications between scholarly publications. The
measurement of influence is useful to address several empirical  questions
such as reputation, prestige, aspects of the diffusion of knowledge, the
markets for scientists and scientific publications, the dynamics of
innovation, ranking algorithms of search engines in the World Wide Web, and
others. In this paper we ask why any given methodology is reasonable and
informative applying the axiomatic method. We find that a unique ranking
method can be characterized by means of four axioms: invariance to citation
intensity, weak homogeneity, weak consistency, and invariance to splitting
of journals. This method is different from those regularly used in social
and natural sciences, arts and humanities, and it is at the core of the
method used by Google to rank web sites.

Addresses: Brown Univ, Dept Econ, Providence, RI 02912 USA; Iowa State Univ
Sci & Technol, Dept Econ, Ames, IA 50011 USA

Reprint Address: Palacios-Huerta, I, Brown Univ, Dept Econ, Providence, RI
02912 USA.

E-mail Address: ipalacios at brown.edu; oscar at volij.co.il

Cited References:
AMIR R, 2002, 200274 CORE U CATH L.
BUSH WC, 1974, REV ECON STAT, V56, P123.
ELLISON G, 2002, J POLIT ECON, V110, P947.
GARFIELD E, 1972, SCIENCE, V178, P471.
LABAND DN, 1994, J ECON LIT, V32, P640.
LABAND DN, 1994, J POLIT ECON, V102, P194.
LABAND DN, 2000, J POLIT ECON, V108, P632.
LIEBOWITZ SJ, 1984, J ECON LIT, V22, P77.
MINC H, 1988, NONNEGATIVE MATRICES.
PAGE L, 1998, PAGE RANK CITATION R.
PINSKI G, 1976, INFORMATION PROCESSI, V12, P297.
POSNER RA, 2000, AM L EC REV, V2, P381.
SAUER RD, 1988, J POLIT ECON, V96, P855.
STIGLER GJ, 1995, J POLIT ECON, V103, P331.
TUCKMAN HP, 1975, J POLITICAL EC, V83, P951.

Cited Reference Count: 15
Times Cited: 0

Publisher: BLACKWELL PUBL LTD
Publisher Address: 108 COWLEY RD, OXFORD OX4 1JF, OXON, ENGLAND

ISSN: 0012-9682

ISO Source Abbrev.: Econometrica
Source Item Page Count: 15
ISI Document Delivery No.: 816MO