Multiple occurences of cited work in Web of Science?

Sloan, Bernie bernies at UILLINOIS.EDU
Fri May 7 14:36:23 EDT 2004

I've noticed something in the organization of search results from a Web of
Science search and was wondering if others have run across the same sort of
thing.

When I look at the results for one of my cited works, the main entry shows
12 citations. But there are three additional entries in the WoS search
results that also show citations to this same paper.

In the main entry my name is entered as "SLOAN B", and the journal name is
properly abbreviated as "LIBR TRENDS". This entry lists 12 citations.

There are two other entries with my name entered as "SLOAN B", but with the
journal title abbreviated as "LIB TRENDS" rather than "LIBR TRENDS". Each of
these entries lists one citation.

Then there is a third with my name listed as "SLOAN BG" with the journal
abbreviated as "LIB TRENDS", rather than "LIBR TRENDS". My middle initial is
indeed "G", but I did not use it in the paper in question.

I've noticed similar things for a paper published in the Journal of Academic
Librarianship. There is one entry with the journal name abbreviated "J ACAD
LIBRARIANSHIP" that lists 4 citations, and another with the journal name as
"J ACAD LIBR" (the proper abbreviation), with 2 citations.

I've noticed something similar with a third paper, but I won't bore you with
the details.

I was wondering how common this is, or if it's just an unlucky coincidence
that I have several papers with this problem?

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant, ILCSO
University of Illinois Office for Planning and Budgeting
616 E. Green Street, Suite 213
Champaign, IL  61820

Phone: (217) 333-4895
Fax:   (217) 265-0454