Pearson's r and ACA

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Fri Jan 16 16:36:29 EST 2004

Steven,

As I have pointed out, I am not an expert in ACA.  Therefore, my answer may
not cover all the possibilites of hypothesis testing in ACA.  The main
purpose of hypothesis testing in ACA, as near as I can judge, would be to
see if the relationships were significant or not.  It provides just another
basis of judgment on the strength of the relationship.  Moreover, another
advantage of utilizing the Pearson is that SAS and SPSS automatically give
you the test.  Therefore, it entails no further effort on your part.
However, as I pointed out,  Howard White--who, after all, played a major
role in developing this technique--does not seem to regard tests of
significance as crucial in ACA.  His opinion would trump mine, as he is the
expert here.

Second, if it were the purpose of the Ahlgren, Jarneving, and Rousseau to
accomplish a Kuhnian overthrow of the established paradigm, then they did a
poor job of it.  To accomplish a Kuhnian overthrow, they would not only
have had to prove the Pearson incorrect but to have substituted a better
measure for it.  They refused to demonstrate how their measures are better,
leaving your "tempest in a teapot" hypothesis still standing.

Finally, Don Kraft did not pose the "so what" question.  I did.  He was
only posting it for me, for which he was roundly berated by a reader of
this LISTSERV for posting Bensman's "diatribe."

Respectfully,
Steve B.

"Steven A. Morris" <samorri at OKSTATE.EDU>@LISTSERV.UTK.EDU> on 01/16/2004
02:19:20 PM

Please respond to ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>

Sent by:    ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>