CiteSpace

Chaomei Chen Chaomei.Chen at CIS.DREXEL.EDU
Fri Jan 16 15:33:35 EST 2004

Dear All,

CiteSpace is an experimental Java program that I have been developing for
co-citation analysis, especially for visualizing co-citation networks.
The underlying techniques implemented in CiteSpace are explained in a PNAS
paper published this week:

Chen, C. (2004) Searching for intellectual turning points: Progressive
Knowledge Domain Visualization. Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS).
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/0307513100v1.pdf

Currently, it takes citation data in the ISI Export format and generates
node-and-link drawings of co-citation networks.
A typical way to use it is to slice a time interval into smaller segments
and study how co-citation networks over individual
time slices are patched together. The PNAS paper illustrates how to find
intellectual turning points by visually searching for
pivot points in such patched co-citation networks.

While it is still under construction, if anyone here would like to try out
some of its main functions at this stage and provide feedback/comments for
further improvements, please get in touch with me via email.

For more information, see also
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~cc345/citespace/

Best wishes,
Chaomei Chen
College of Information Science and Technology
 Drexel University