White HD "Author cocitation analysis and ...

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Mon Jan 12 02:20:46 EST 2004

Dear Steven,

Thank you for the reference.
I think that one can do with your metaphor of a pot of chicken and
dumplings when one is interested in the information retrieval (using
Bradford's law). However, when the research question is, for example,
about the structure of science, the delineations and the parameter
choices become utmost important. Since there is a wealth of similarity
criteria and clustering algorithms one would be able to produce almost
any representation. But some representations are better than others!

With kind regards,

Loet
  _____

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

 <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff-sci.htm> The Challenge of
Scientometrics ;  <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff.htm> The
Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society