International cooperation

Rajko rigic at EXCITE.COM
Thu Dec 23 17:08:08 EST 2004

 Dear Coleagues,

Long time ago, Dr. E. Garfield stated that the scientists all over the world “are one intellectual community” (Current Contents, No. 16, pp. 3-7, April, 1988), and he suggested that we should help to the scientists in poor and developing countries in our best interest.
        The war, like a cancer, destroys the normal function of a society, including the scientific production in the affected areas. Thus, we studied the influence of the civil war in Yugoslavia on publishing in peer-reviewed journals, and suggested to the researchers from various countries to survey scientific activities in Bosnia & Herzegovina and Serbia, and help restore and upgrade research and publication (Scientist 1997, 11:11; Scientometrics 1999, 44:183-192, and 2002, 53: 447-452).
        To motivate scientists for international cooperation, it might be a good approach to look at some previous examples. Thus, I am preparing a presentation for the Historic Section at the Experimental Biology 2005 and the 35th International Congress of Physiological Sciences, San Diego, CA (abstract enclosed).
        I invite you all to e-mail me publications related to the topic of international cooperation – examples when at present an individual scientist is helping to his colleagues in developing or devastating countries.

Happy New Year!

Rajko Igic, MD, PhD

Ulf Svante von Euler: Distinguished Swedish Physiologist Who Gladly Encouraged and Supported the Scientists in a Small Country

Rajko Igic

Anesthesiology & Pain Management, John H Stroger Jr Hospital of Cook County, Chicago, IL 60612, USA

Ulf Svante von Euler-Chelpin (1905–1983) received the 1970 Nobel Prize for Physiology and Medicine, for his discoveries. Later he was a member and then the president of the Nobel Committee. Von Euler was educated in his country (Medical School, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm), where he was assistant professor of pharmacology (1930–1933), physiology (1933–1939), professor of physiology (1939–1971), and professor emeritus (1971). From 1931 to 1947, he made several study-tours in top laboratories where he worked and built-up many international contacts, in the U.K. (H.H. Dale, 1930 and 1937; de B. Daly, 1931; A.V. Hill, 1934), Germany (G. Embden, 1931), Holland (C. Heymans, 1932), and Argentina (B.A. Houssay, 1946–1947). This extensive international cooperation and experience allowed him to both evolve scientifically to realize many ideas and to become a person who is ready to share his knowledge and enthusiasm for research with the scientists all over the world (including tho!
 se from small and poor countries). To illustrate his support to the researchers in a small country, we depicted his three visits to the former Yugoslavia: Sarajevo (1961), Belgrade (1968), and Tuzla (1982). The author of this presentation luckily was his host in Tuzla, and he is going to present some details of that visit.

.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com