FW: [SIGMETRICS] Are there citation analyses that distinguish different types of citation?

Heting Chu Heting.Chu at LIU.EDU
Wed Oct 1 10:52:20 EDT 2003

Resent after clearing up some problem with my email address alias.

Heting Chu

-----Original Message-----
From:   Heting Chu
Sent:   Tue 9/30/2003 2:25 PM
To:     ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics; SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: RE: [SIGMETRICS] Are there citation analyses that distinguish             different types of citation?

Dear William,

In addition to Loet's paper, the following two publications provide extensive reviews of studies on citation types, reasons for citation, and the like.

1. Case, D.O., & Higgins, G.M. (2000). How can we investigate citation behavior? A study of reasons for citing literature in communication. Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 51(7), 635-645.

2. Cronin, B. (1984). The citation process: The role and significance of citations in scientific communication. London: Taylor Graham.

Best wishes,

Heting Chu
http://phoenix.liu.edu/~hchu/