Structured abstracts

Einat Amitay einat at IL.IBM.COM
Mon Mar 31 06:04:09 EST 2003

Structured abstracts in the form of online summaries (as implemented by
Google: http://labs.google.com/cgi-bin/webquotes) is the subject of my PhD
thesis.

Amitay E. (2001). What Lays in the Layout: Using anchor-paragraph
arrangements to extract descriptions of Web documents. PhD Thesis,
Macquarie University, February, 2001.

The whole document can be downloaded from:
http://www.mri.mq.edu.au/~einat/thesis/

Hope it can add something to the debate whether there's a new form of
writing or just an adoption of known conventions.

Einat

---
Einat Amitay, PhD.
einat at il.ibm.com
Information Retrieval Group
IBM Research Lab in Haifa, Israel

"J. Hartley" <j.hartley at PSY.KEELE.AC.UK>@LISTSERV.UTK.EDU> on 31/03/2003
12:59:21

Please respond to ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>

Sent by:    ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>

To:    SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
cc:
Subject:    [SIGMETRICS] Structured abstracts

Colleagues might like to know that my latest paper on structured abstracts
has now been published (Science Communication, 24, 3, 366-379).  This one
compares 24 traditional abstracts with 24 structured ones based on
abstracts
from the Journal of Educational Psychology and shows several benefits for
the latter.  Copies of the paper are available from me:
j.hartley at psy.keele.ac.uk