citations and development

Nadeem Haque nhaque_imf at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 27 19:30:04 EST 2003

I am an economist interested in understanding research and scientific development in poor countries. To help my research, I would be grateful if you could help me with the following:
   How can I get citation, Number of researchers and R&D funding information by country?
   Currently, when we talk of human capital development or the ability of the country to innovate, we use raw numbers for percentage of population with certain numbers of years of schooling. Schooling quality is ignored.  Can I use citation and other information to harden an index of  professional development that might be more meaningful for understandign research capabilities.
   Can citation information give us an idea of how research and scientific communities are dsitributed? In economics we tend to use normal or uniform distributions for modelling research and professional capabilites. Is that appropriate?

I hope some of you can help!

Thanks

Nadeem Ul Haque
IMF Res Rep--Egypt