Query about journal (not author) self-citation rates

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Wed Mar 26 02:23:23 EST 2003

Dear Stevan,

1. There are standardized ways to normalize outlayers on the main
diagonal because that problem is occuring more frequently.
Self-citations can be considered as the values on the main diagonal of
the citation matrix.

Note that the distributions are not normal and that one should therefore
preferentially use non-parametric statistics for the normalization.

* Derek de Solla Price, "The Analysis of Square Matrices of
Scientometric Transactions," Scientometrics 3 (1981), 55-63.

* Elliott Noma, "An Improved Method for Analyzing Square Scientometric
Transaction Matrices," Scientometrics 4 (1982) 297-316.

2. Even if properly normalized the interpretation remains problematic.
Citations are not only higher within specific journals, but also within
specific groups of journals. This reflects restricted discourses (versus
elaborate discourses that reach across disciplinary delineations, e.g.,
Science and Nature). Within each group one can construct a ranking, but
the comparisons among groups in terms of citation rankings is
problematic. For example, impact factors are higher in immunology than
in toxicology. Furthermore, the delineations of the groupings is
uncertain and dynamic.

3. Citations are a mixed bag (see my article with Olga Amsterdamska,
"Dimensions of Citation Analysis," STHV 15 (1990) 305-335 and later work
on the theory of citations). One may wish to argue that at the level of
journals the law of large numbers does the job. But which job? Imho, the
job of grouping, but not of ranking.

This is not meant to discourage you from your project which is
interesting. The data can easily be collected from the CD-Rom version of
the JCR.

With kind regards,

Loet

  _____

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
loet at leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/

The Challenge of Scientometrics ; The Self-Organization of the
Knowledge-Based Society