a scientometric paper in Nature Biotechnology

delooze delooze at WANADOO.FR
Thu Jan 16 09:42:30 EST 2003

"Decoding the literature on genetic variation"
By: Roger Coronini, Marie-Angèle de Looze, Pierre Puget, Gérard Bley, and
Shyama V. Ramani
coronini at grenoble.inra.fr, delooze at wanadoo.fr, shyamar at grenoble.inra.fr

 Nature Biotechnology, January 2003, volume 21, Pages :21-29.

 Single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) are DNA sequence variations among
individuals. Publicly funded laboratories and private businesses are
attempting to associate specific SNPs (or sets of SNPs) with various medical
conditions and to study the differences in SNP patterns among various human
populations. Ultimately, it is hoped that knowledge of SNPs will improve
medical treatment by enabling prediction of disease risk and response to
therapies.

In the following article, we present an analysis of the patent and
scientific literature on SNPs (up to the end of 2001) to identify the key
academic researchers and centers of excellence in the area, assess the major
commercial developers of SNP technology, and understand the nature and
progress of work currently underway. To assess the creation of new
knowledge, we conducted a detailed study of papers published in the
scientific literature. We have also measured SNP technological innovation by
assessing patent applications filed at the major patent offices. The survey
covers the scientific and patent literature over the period 1987 to 2001.

Our central results reveal the dominance of research centers in the United
States and the prolific patenting of SNP technology by a select group of
biotechnology companies.

Roger Coronini, Marie-Angèle de Looze, and Shyama V. Ramani are researchers
at INRA (Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique) in UPMF (Université
Pierre Mendès France), BP 47, Grenoble cedex 9, France 38040, and Pierre
Puget and Gérard Bley are researchers at the CEA (Commissariat à l'Energie
Atomique) in LETI (Laboratoire d'Electronique et des Technologies de l'
Information), Grenoble cedex 9, France 38054

The first three authors have also recently founded a start up offering
services in competitive intelligence and knowledge management with specific
application to the biotechnology sectors.

Marie-Angèle de Looze
ASC Analyse, Scientométrie, Connaissances
RN 90 Chalandrier
38330 Saint Nazaire les Eymes

Tel : 04 76 52 35 84
GSM : 06 77 03 93 09