Mela GS, Mancardi GL "Neurological research in Europe, as assessed with a four-year overview of neurological science international journals" JOURNAL OF NEUROLOGY 249 (4): 390-395 APR 2002

Tue May 21 15:18:28 EDT 2002

G.S. Mela : meladimi at csita.unige.it

TITLE Neurological research in Europe, as assessed with a four-year
overview of neurological science international journals
AUTHOR Mela GS, Mancardi GL
JOURNAL JOURNAL OF NEUROLOGY 249 (4): 390-395 APR 2002

 Document type: Review    Language: English    Cited References: 12
Times Cited: 0

Abstract:
This paper analyses all the peer-reviewed articles published by European
authors in 161 neurological journals screened by ISI in accordance with
Current Contents/Life Science and Current Contents/Clinical Medicine in the
period 1995-1998. Our aim was to report the amount and quality of
neurological research in the different countries of the European Union (EU),
the USA and the world. The number of papers, the impact factors (IF), the
population of the source country and gross domestic product (GDP), were
downloaded. Data show that in the EU there is a progressive increase in the
number of published papers from 1995 to 1998 and that large countries such
as Germany, the United Kingdom, France and Italy rank at the top four places
for absolute number of papers. The gap in the number of papers between the
USA and the EU significantly diminished in the examined period, from a
difference of 14% to 6%. However, when the IF is considered, the USA
performed better than EU, although excellent results have been obtained by
the United Kingdom, Ireland, Netherlands and Sweden. When the number and
quality of papers are plotted against the number of inhabitants or GDP,
Sweden, the Netherlands and Finland are the leading countries in Europe. The
present study demonstrates that neurological research in the EU is active
and productive, is steadily increasing and is now a relevant part of all
biomedical world research.

Author Keywords:
neurology, bibliometrics, scientific production, Europe,
www.Cilnews.unige.it

KeyWords Plus:
CITATION ANALYSIS, UNION

Addresses:
Mela GS, Univ Genoa, Dept Internal Med, Viale Benedetto XV 6, I-16132 Genoa,
Italy
Univ Genoa, Dept Internal Med, I-16132 Genoa, Italy
Univ Genoa, Dept Neurol Sci & Vis, I-16132 Genoa, Italy

Publisher:
DR DIETRICH STEINKOPFF VERLAG, DARMSTADT

IDS Number:
543WU

ISSN:
0340-5354