Kjaergard LL, Gluud C "Citation bias of hepato-biliary randomized clinical trials" JOURNAL OF CLINICAL EPIDEMIOLOGY 55 (4): 407-410 APR 2002

Kjaergard @ctu.rh.dk garfield at CODEX.CIS.UPENN.EDU
Fri May 3 12:33:43 EDT 2002

LL Kjaergard   Kjaergard @ctu.rh.dk

Title  Citation bias of hepato-biliary randomized clinical trials
Author  Kjaergard LL, Gluud C
Journal  JOURNAL OF CLINICAL EPIDEMIOLOGY   55 (4): 407-410 APR 2002

Document type: Article    Language: English    Cited References: 25
Times Cited: 0

Abstract:
The objective of this study was to assess whether trials with a positive
(i.e., statistically significant) outcome are cited more often than negative
trials. We reviewed 530 randomized clinical trials on hepato-biliary
diseases published in I I English-language journals indexed in MEDLINE from
1985-1996. From each trial, we extracted the statistical significance of the
primary study outcome (positive or negative), the disease area, and
methodological quality (randomization and double
blinding). The number of citations during two calendar years after
publication was obtained from Science Citation Index. There was a
significant positive association between a statistically significant study
outcome and the citation frequency (beta, 0.55, 95% confidence interval,
0.39-0.72). The disease area and adequate generation of the allocation
sequence were also significant predictors of the citation frequency. We
concluded that positive trials are cited significantly more often than
negative trials. The association was not explained by disease area or
methodological quality. (C) 2002 Elsevier Science Inc. All rights reserved.

Author Keywords:
randomized clinical trials, bias, systematic reviews, meta-analysis, journal
citation reports, science citation index

KeyWords Plus:
PUBLICATION BIAS, QUALITY, REVIEWS

Addresses:
Kjaergard LL, HS Rigshosp, Ctr Clin Intervent Res, Copenhagen Trial Unit,
Cochrane Hepatobiliary Grp, Blegdamsvej 9, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Copenhagen Univ Hosp, Ctr Clin Intervent Res, Copenhagen Trial Unit,
Cochrane Hepatobiliary Grp, Copenhagen, Denmark

Publisher:
PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD, OXFORD

IDS Number:
533ET

ISSN:
0895-4356

Cited Author            Cited Work                Volume      Page      Year

                       COCHRANE LIB                                    2001
 BERO LA               ANN INTERN MED               127        37      1997
 BLUNT J               BRIT MED J                   316       312      1998
 BUDD JM               JAMA-J AM MED ASSOC          280       296      2001
 CHRISTENSENSZAL.JJ    AM PSYCHOL                    39        75      1984
 CLARKE M              COCHRANE LIB                                    2001
 EASTERBROOK PJ        LANCET                       337       867      1991
 EGGER M               BRIT MED J                   316        61      1998
 EGGER M               LANCET                       350       326      1997
 GLUUD C               J HEPATOL                     29       321      1998
 GLUUD C               J HEPATOL                     28       731      1998
 GLUUD C               LIVER                         19         1      1999
 GOTZSHCE PC           BRIT MED J                   195       645      1987
 HUTCHINSON BG         CAN FAM PHYSICIAN             41      1356      1995
 KJAERGARD LL          ANN INTERN MED               135       982      2001
 KJAERGARD LL          HEPATOLOGY                    30      1134      1999
 MOHER D               LANCET                       352       609      1998
 RAVNSKOV U            BRIT MED J                   305        15      1992
 RAVNSKOV U            J CLIN EPIDEMIOL              48       713      1995
 ROBERTS I             BRIT MED J                   315       683      1997
 SCHULZ KF             JAMA-J AM MED ASSOC          273       408      1995
 SEGLEN PO             BRIT MED J                   314       498      1997
 SONG F                HLTH TECHNOLOGY ASSE           4         1      2000
 STERN JM              BRIT MED J                   315       640      1997
 TONKS L               BRIT MED J                   319      1565      1999

When responding, please attach my original message
Eugene Garfield, PhD.  email: garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu
home page: www.eugenegarfield.org
Tel: 215-243-2205 Fax 215-387-1266
President, The Scientist LLC. www.the-scientist.com
Chairman Emeritus, ISI www.isinet.com
Past President, American Society for Information Science and Technology
(ASIS&T)  www.asis.org