Reed WJ "The Pareto, Zipf and other power laws" ECONOMICS LETTERS 74 (1): 15-19 DEC 20 2001

charles h. davis davisc at INDIANA.EDU
Thu Mar 21 12:27:37 EST 2002

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, when I alluded to "appeal to authority" I was
talking about what Derek Price long ago called cumulative advantage.
During a conversation in 1979 he said something about "throwing out data
points" that didn't match a regular exponential curve.  That got me
thinking about whether those points (highly cited individuals -- like
the highly acknowledged people) might have fit along a power curve.  Alas,
Derek has been dead for some time, and I have nothing in writing.

Chas.