Person Citation Indexes unlimited!!!

Garfield, Eugene Garfield at CODEX.CIS.UPENN.EDU
Wed Jul 10 13:18:35 EDT 2002

  Bernie Sloan: I suppose that it is to be expected that after 35 years
personal citation reports should be rediscovered. I suppose that through
your eyes  Personal Citation Indexes represent a kind of epiphany. And I
will be grateful if your new look at personal awareness produces greater
attention to this potential of citation indexes and the web. And as Peter
Ingwerson suggests, it may cause even further and deeper understanding of
the meanings of one's impact.

When Bernie Sloan writes this all up I hope that he will be aware that there
have been thousands of individuals who have been compiling personal citation
reports for decades. Adding the new dimension of the web is an excellent
embellishment, but whether it has any significance for research, rather than
social interaction, is something to be seen. Many people other than
researchers have social impacts. As Blaise Cronin has been trying to
emphasize it would be nice to codify acknowledgements of all kinds and if
the web can call some of these to one's attention that is all to the good.
Teachers ought to be accorded the recognition that web links provide by
citing their courses. And if they can convert that into useful information
for tenure evaluation all the better.

I have written a great deal about personalized information services. Perhaps
the internet age will produce a more egocentric view of things and we can
get researchers to compile personal citation indexes. But long years of
experience demonstrates that it is difficult to get researchers to be that
systematic. Fewer of them today feel self-conscious about compiling such
reports. In the past it was wrongly interpreted as being vainglorious to
look up one's citation record. This unfortunately goes back to the early
days when citation indexes were still considered unwelcome by those who were
not cited very often--and this happens to be a significant part of the
academic population.

There isn't a week that goes by that I don't provide a personal citation
index to a researcher who has been active for decades. All that I have done
is to enter his or her name in the Web of Science to first identify their
published output and then to see how often and where they are cited. This
often produces an overwhelming feeling because after a lifetime of research
the information comes almost too late. It would have been much easier to
absorb the information in weekly chunks by using a personal citation alert,
but now they have to deal with dozens of papers never encountered before.
But then there is hope--for those who want to look back on the impact of
their work this personal report provides the basis for a lot of
interpretation and often the results are quite surprising.

It is the overwhelming nature of the information that has led me to pursue
in more recent times my interest in providing researchers with a tool that
takes this information and presents the personal citation report in a form
that is amenable to digestion.

I hope these ad hoc comments are what you are looking for. I hope you will
pursue your ideas on the personal citation index with vigor and inculcate in
students the importance of doing this on a regular and continuing basis.
With best  wishes. Gene Garfield

When responding, please attach my original message
Eugene Garfield, PhD. email:  garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu
home page: www.eugenegarfield.org
Tel: 215-243-2205 Fax 215-387-1266
President, The Scientist LLC. www.the-scientist.com
Chairman Emeritus, ISI www.isinet.com
Past President, American Society for Information Science and Technology
(ASIS&T) www.asis.org