Web citation issues

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro at CINDOC.CSIC.ES
Wed Jul 10 07:46:27 EDT 2002

Dear all:

I arrive a bit late to this debate, but I think an important point is
missing in several of the messages. Most of them focus on the
comparision between links and citations and the reasons to cite and the
objects to be cited. Certainly both wordls are different and printed
literature and bibliographic references are superior for bibliometric
analysis.

But our traditional approach has several shortcommings as several
authours have already pointed. From the evaluation and policy purposes
point of view, one of the most important is that there are no enough
readily available information for a real sciencetechnoeconometrics. The
interlinked nature of the Web offer the possibility to discover hidden
relationships among different websites, including not only the bonds
that binds academic communities but those showing economic, industrial,
social or cultural relationships. And this is not easy with traditional
quantitative methods.

Going to the personal aspects, the presence on the Web of research
groups, professors or postgraduate students reflects a wider range of
activities than formal publication in refereed journals, such as
unpublished material, general public contributions, drafts for future
papers or book chapters, slides used in conference or seminar
presentations, support material for courses or even raw data. The
picture you can obtain from a researcher is therefore more complete.

Finally, as tax-payer citizen supporting public research activities I
request better access to the results obtained by scientists and in this
sense the Web reaches a wider audience than the paper based publications
like journals or books. In fact almost all the information published on
the Web can be recover by any Internet user worldwide.

Comments ...

Isidro F. Aguillo       isidro at cindoc.csic.es
Laboratorio de Internet. CINDOC-CSIC
Joaquin Costa, 22       Ph. +34-91-5635482 ext. 313
28002 Madrid            Mb. +34-630-858997
ESPAÑA-SPAIN
        Fx. +34-91-5642644
Editor Cybermetrics     www.cindoc.csic.es/cybermetrics