Personal Citation Index and ASCA (fwd)

Garfield, Eugene Garfield at CODEX.CIS.UPENN.EDU
Mon Dec 3 14:59:11 EST 2001

I am delighted to have this clarification. Alas in my personal experience it
is a constant source of amazement how many users are not aware of these
capabilities. Indeed, teaching certain classes of users to use the Personal
Alert is problematic in that some of them interpret such a service as
catering to their vanity, which completely misses the point. Its main use is
to learn about work that might otherwise be missed. Naturally, as authors
most of us like to see our work cited, but in my case I find it exciting to
learn about connections that I would otherwise miss. Even in my page by page
scanning of certain journals I may miss such connections.

  ISI is well aware that WOS does not and cannot cover everything. I believe
that is implied by their recent announcements about connections to BIOSIS,
INSPEC and other data bases. Best wishes. Gene Garfield

When responding, please attach my original message
----
Eugene Garfield, Ph.D.  E-mail: garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu
 Telephone:  (215)243-2205   Fax: (215)387-1266
 Web site: www.eugenegarfield.org
Past President, American Society for Information Science & Technology
(ASIS&T) -    www.asis.org
Chairman Emeritus,Institute for Scientific Information ( ISI),
 3501 Market St , Philadelphia, PA 19104-3389,   www.isinet.com
Pres.,Ed.-in-Chief,  The Scientist,
 3535 Market St , Philadelphia, PA 19104-3385,    www.the-scientist.com