ABS: Thomas,Webometric analysis of departments of librarianship andinformation science

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro at CINDOC.CSIC.ES
Mon Apr 2 08:24:05 EDT 2001

SIGMETRICS provides a valuable insight about the current bibliograpy in
scientometrics and related topics, including both abstracts and cited
references extracted from ISI products. The recently message about
Willett`s article about "Webometric analysis of departments of
librarianship and information science" published in Journal of
Information Science offered the full list of references of this paper as
extracted by ISI directly from the original paper.

It is surprisingly that references from electronic journals only cite
the URL address and the accession date not the original year of
publication. There is no mention of the name of the publication and the
accession date is over three years after publication date. With this
behaviour it will impossible to make scientometric analysis of the
ejournals impact and any intention to derive indicators from databases
will be faulty.

This is not the fault of ISI as I checked that original paper and ISI
indexers extract the data as showed in the references.

We suggest more caution in the citation of electronic material,
specially when peer-reviewed journals are involved.

We are also interested in obtaining information about impact factor
"calculations" of ejournals and related studies published in paper oe in
the web.

Thanks in advance,

   Isidro F. AGUILLO                      isidro at cindoc.csic.es
 CINDOC-CSIC                              Tel: +34-91-563.54.82
 Joaquin Costa, 22                        Móvil: +34-630.858997
 28002 Madrid. ESPAÑA/SPAIN               Fax: +34-91-564.26.44