Revision of Impact Factors

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro at CINDOC.CSIC.ES
Tue Sep 19 04:04:30 EDT 2000

I am very pleased with the wide range of commentaries of other
colleagues about the proposal for a new IF and especially with the open
mind of the ISI managers. I agree that it is very helpful to discuss in
depth the details before making changes.

But it is important to say that the main reason to suggest an
improvement of IF is not related (directly) with the needs of
bibliometricians but with the abuse and misunderstandings of the
rankings by general R&D community (For example, social and humanities
researchers favour an extended citation window).

On the other side, obviously, as scientometrician I would like to see an
added value JCR. If more information is provided by JCR, including new
indexes, recalculating old ones and perhaps splitting others, then our
work for next years is guaranteed. Regarding comparative purposes, the
answer is simply: Provide also the old IF. The length of the current
rankings of 1999 SCI JCR is only about 60 pages, so increasing booklet
size do not seem a major problem.

** If ISI will make any changes to JCR, then both roles need to be
addressed, but they are two different problems and the discussions would
considerer such differences. The upper limit is to keep easy the way the
indexes are calculated, but the proposal intends a higher lower limit,
increasing the number of indexes to be provided**

Consequences. Regarding the original topic about country bias it is
impossible to say in advance if more non-English journals could be
added, but we will have new, improved and more data to re-evaluate the
"tail" (journals with lower IF) where many of those journals are
located.

Isidro F. AGUILLO                  isidro at cindoc.csic.es
CINDOC-CSIC                        Tel: +34-91-563.54.82
Joaquin Costa, 22                  Fax: +34-91-564.26.44
28002 Madrid. ESPAÑA/SPAIN
Editor Cybermetrics (http://www.cindoc.csic.es/cybermetrics)