uncitedness

Rousseau Ronald ronald.rousseau at KH.KHBO.BE
Tue Nov 7 02:16:50 EST 2000

Dear Colleagues,

As a comment on the subject of the following article

 TITLE           The rise and fall of uncitedness
> AUTHOR   Schwartz CA
> JOURNAL COLLEGE & RESEARCH LIBRARIES 58: (1) 19-29 JAN 1997

I want to point out that there is another way of studying uncitedness. Indeed,
in a number of articles Leo Egghe, B. Gupta and I studied the first-citation
distribution. As a corrollary one obtains information about uncitedness,
because those articles that never obtain a first citation are simply those that
are not cited.

One important point though: the term 'uncited' has no meaning. One should
always add with respect to which database and which time period. 'Uncited in
the ISI database over the last 5 years' means something totally different
than 'uncited by your own department'.

Yours sincerely,

Ronald Rousseau

Rousseau R. (1994). Double exponential models for first-citation processes.
Scientometrics 30, 213-227.
Gupta B.M. & Rousseau R. (1999). Further investigations into the first-citation
process: the case of population genetics. Libres 9(2) [freely available e-
journal]
aztec.lib.utk.edu/libres/libre9n2/fc.htm
Egghe L. (2000). A heuristic study of the first-citation distribution.
Scientometrics 48, 345-359.