Jeffrey Katzer

Gretchen Whitney gwhitney at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Sun Mar 5 11:08:14 EST 2000

Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 16:23:52 -0500
From: "Raymond F. von Dran" <vondran at syr.edu>

I have very bad news for us all

Jeffrey Katzer died this morning at 8:00 a.m. at the Crouse Hospital.
He was with his family and his death was peaceful.  There will be
memorial services, but the date and time has not yet been announced.  It
will be at SU’s Hendrick’s Memorial Chapel. I will let you know as soon
as we know more.  The Katzer family address is 1208 Meadowbrook Drive,
Syracuse 13224.

Jeffrey died as a result of small cell prostate cancer.  This desease is
impossible to detect early, is virulent, and spreads very quickly.

 Jeff gave so much to everyone.  He gave especially to our doctoral
students, who now embody his spirit throughout the world, and give real
meaning to the concept of having a “doctor-father.”   He was also a vita
force in creating our collegial culture in the School of Information
Studies, and brought us all together to work together.

 For his doctoral program, we have already established a fund in
Jeffrey’s name.  For his faculty colleagues, we will dedicate a room,
4-186 in the faculty wing of CST, as a space for faculty to work
together.  I’m not sure that the name is right, but a Katzer
Collaboratorium will be created.  It will be a little place where
faculty can get together and work in the way Jeff taught us to.

Jeff is survived by his wive Linda and children Andrew and Jill.

I’ll keep you posted.

Tonight was the night scheduled for “Mother Bonzi’s 17th annual
Doctoral Student Pasta Extravaganza.” We had hoped Jeff could have
joined us there just one more time. We will hold it tonight in honor of
Jeffrey.

Sadly,

--Ray

--