ABS: Cavalli. What has prevented Annals of Oncology from reaching an impact factor of 6?

Gretchen Whitney gwhitney at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Wed Mar 1 18:54:16 EST 2000

Cavalli, F. "What has prevented Annals of Oncology from reaching an impact
factor of 6?" ANNALS of ONCOLOGY 10(12). DEC 1999.  p1403-1404

Authors email address annonco at oncogroup.ch

QUOTE

"There are two major concerns. One is related to the impact factor (IF),
which for the last couple of years has been approaching with out reaching,
3. In light of the values of some of our competitors with higher IFs, I feel
strongly that by now ours should have been closer to 6. I question why we
have not yet attained that figure, and wonder whether the simple answer may
not be found in "impactomania", that strange malfunction located somewhere
between paranoia and selfishness. In fact, when asked why they had not sent
their papers to Annals of Oncology, several authors  especially European  of
very good papers have replied candidly that they chose to "send it to a
journal with a higher IF." The implication of this syndrome is clear: the
system as a whole has a large component of inertia, meaning that once a
journal has  impact factor it will keep it and increase it! And the
corollary to this for late-comers becoming almost impossible to reach the IF
which they may in fact deserve."

FN ISI Export Format
VR 1.0
PT J
AU Cavalli, F
TI What has prevented Annals of Oncology from reaching an impact
   factor of 6?
SO ANNALS OF ONCOLOGY
NR 0
BP 1403