ABS: Rousseau, Jaccard similarity leads to the Marczewski-Steinhaus topology for information retrieval

Gretchen Whitney gwhitney at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Thu Jun 15 18:23:37 EDT 2000

Author e-mail:  ronald.rousseau at kh.khbo.be

AU Rousseau, R
TI Jaccard similarity leads to the Marczewski-Steinhaus topology
   for information retrieval
SO INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT
LA English
DT Article
NR 15
SN 0306-4573
PU PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
C1 KHBO, Dept Ind Sci & Technol, Zeedijk 101, B-8400 Oostende,
   Belgium.
   KHBO, Dept Ind Sci & Technol, B-8400 Oostende, Belgium.
AB We show that if the similarity function of a retrieval system
   leads to a (pseudo-) metric, the retrieval, the similarity and
   the Everett-Cater metric topology coincide and are generally
   different from the discrete topology. This is the case if we
   represent documents by lists and use the Jaccard similarity
   measure. The corresponding metric is then the Marczewski-
   Steinhaus metric. We further study the special case of a one-
   element query space consisting of a single-item query. (C) 1998
   Elsevier Science Ltd. All rights reserved.
CR CATER S, 1986, THESIS LOUISIANA STA
   EGGHE L, 1988, IN PRESS J AM SOC IN
   EGGHE L, 1997, IN PRESS MATH COMPUT
   EGGHE L, 1997, J AM SOC INFORM SCI, V48, P479
   EVERETT DM, 1992, J AM SOC INFORM SCI, V43, P658
   HAMERS L, 1989, INFORM PROCESS MANAG, V25, P315
   HEINE MH, 1973, INFORM STORAGE RET, V9, P181
   HU SZ, 1966, INTRO GEN TOPOLOGY
   JACCARD P, 1901, B SOC VAUD SCI NAT, V37, P547
   KELLEY JL, 1955, GEN TOPOLOGY
   LEVANDOWSKY M, 1971, NATURE, V234, P34
   LIPSCHUTZ S, 1965, SCHAUMS OUTLINE SERI
   MACLANE S, 1980, AM SCI, V68, P184
   MCCARTY G, 1967, TOPOLOGY
   SHEPHERD MA, 1986, J AM SOC INFORM SCI, V37, P146
TC 1
BP 87
EP 94
PG 8
JI Inf. Process. Manage.
PY 1998
PD JAN
VL 34
IS 1
GA ZA695
PI OXFORD
RP Rousseau R
   KHBO, Dept Ind Sci & Technol, Zeedijk 101, B-8400 Oostende, Belgium.
J9 INFORM PROCESS MANAGE
PA THE BOULEVARD, LANGFORD LANE, KIDLINGTON, OXFORD OX5 1GB,
   ENGLAND
UT ISI:000072391800006
ER

(c) ISI, Reprinted with permission