ABS: Marusic, Small scientific journals from small countries: Breaking from a vicious circle of inadequacy

Gretchen Whitney gwhitney at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Mon Jul 10 18:16:34 EDT 2000

AU Marusic, A
   Marusic, M
TI Small scientific journals from small countries: Breaking from a
   vicious circle of inadequacy
SO CROATIAN MEDICAL JOURNAL
LA English
DT Editorial Material
NR 32
SN 0353-9504
PU PABST SCIENCE PUBLISHERS
C1 Univ Zagreb, Sch Med, Zagreb 41001, Croatia.
   Univ Zagreb, Sch Med, Zagreb 41001, Croatia.
DE Croatia; electronic publishing; indexing; Internet; journals;
   medical education; peer review; periodicals; publishing
ID IMPACT FACTOR; INFORMATION
AB In this editorial we describe the confounding factors that
   contribute to the poor international recognition of small
   journals: author pool, review process, finances, language, and
   visibility. These factors originate from relative scientific
   inadequacy of the local environment and close a positive
   feedback loop (vicious circle) of journal inadequacy. We argue
   that small journals may provide important information and
   outline the ways in which they can be assisted.
CR *I SCI INF, 1998, SCI CIT IND 1998 GUI
   COLAIANNI LA, 1994, JAMA-J AM MED ASSOC, V272, P156
   CRANE D, 1967, AM SOCIOL, V2, P195
   DREW B, 1989, FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
   EGGER M, 1997, LANCET, V350, P326
   FAGAN TC, 1997, 3 INT C BIOM PEER RE, P37
   GARFIELD E, 1986, ANN INTERN MED, V105, P313
   GARFIELD E, 1990, CURR CONTENTS, V33, P185
   GIBBS WW, 1995, SCI AM           MAR, P76
   GUYTON AC, 1996, TXB MED PHYSL
   HAMILTON DP, 1991, SCIENCE, V251, P25
   HORTON R, 1999, LANCET, V353, P2223
   HORTON R, 1998, LANCET, V351, P1
   HUTH EJ, 1989, B NEW YORK ACAD MED, V65, P647
   KLAIC B, 1997, CROATIAN MED J, V38, P88
   KLEIN J, 1985, IMMUNOGENETICS, V21, P105
   LACKOVIC Z, 1992, CROAT MED J, V33, P67
   LOCK S, 1994, ANN INTERN MED, V121, P121
   MARUSIC A, 1998, CBE VIEWS, V21, P12
   MARUSIC A, 1998, CROATIAN MED J, V39, P3
   MARUSIC A, 1995, J CROATIAN STUDIES, V36, P149
   MARUSIC A, 1999, LANCET, V353, P1713
   MARUSIC M, 1997, CROAT MED J, V38, P5
   MARUSIC M, 1996, CROATIAN MED J, V37, P273
   MARUSIC M, 1996, UVOD ZNANSTVENI RAD
   MOHER D, 1996, LANCET, V347, P363
   NYLENNA M, 1994, CROAT MED J, V35, P195
   PORTA M, 1996, J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, V50, P606
   SEGLEN PO, 1997, BRIT MED J, V314, P498
   VANROOYEN S, 1999, BRIT MED J, V318, P23
   WARMUS H, E BIOMED PROPOSAL EL
   WARREN KS, 1972, AM J MED SCI, V263, P267
TC 1
BP 508
EP 514
PG 7
JI Croat. Med. J.
PY 1999
PD DEC
VL 40
IS 4
GA 264CE
PI LENGERICH
RP Marusic A
   Univ Zagreb, Sch Med, Zagreb 41001, Croatia.
J9 CROAT MED J
PA EICHENGRUND 28, D-49525 LENGERICH, GERMANY
UT ISI:000084161800010
ER
(c) ISI, reprinted with permission
Please visit their website at www.isinet.com