Feedback on research requested

Gretchen Whitney gwhitney at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Fri Jan 14 18:25:03 EST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: j.s.katz at sussex.ac.uk
To: issi at crrm.u-3mrs.fr
Sent: 1/13/00 11:54 PM
Subject: Feedback request

Dear Colleagues:

I have been developing and using two novel bibliometric indicators
(1) Relative National Citation Impact and
(2) Relative International Citation Impact.

These indicators are based on a power law relationship that I have
observed between citations and papers. The two indicators are explained
and applied in a working paper entitled "A question of impact: Is
citations per paper a reliable measure of impact?" and a report I prepared
for the ESRC entitled "Bibliometric indicators and the social sciences".
Most of the theory is explained in my Research Policy article "The
self-similar science system". The papers are available in pdf format from
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/jskatz

I would appreciate comments and suggestion on these new indicators.

Regards
Sylvan

Dr. J. Sylvan Katz
Senior Research Fellow
Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex
Brighton, E. Sussex, UK, BN1 9RF
Tel: (01273) 877152 Fax: (01273)685865
VE5ZX & G0TZX
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/jskatz