SIGMETRICS Digest - 7 Aug 2000 to 10 Aug 2000 (#2000-116)

Eugene Garfield egarfield at ROCKETMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 11 23:22:26 EDT 2000

Let me reiterate-- if any one knows of articles
appearing outside of the set of journals that we can
follow easily then by all means submit them to SIGMET.
No one has ever suggested that do not consider them
relevant. However, you cannot expect me to do all this
myself. You are free to express your opinions on any
of the material we locate, but we cannot force people
to comment. Best wishes. Eugene Garfield
--- Sinisa Maricic <smaritch at ROCKETMAIL.COM> wrote:
> --- Automatic digest processor  wrote: > There are 3
> messages
> totalling 343 lines in this issue.
> >
> > Topics of the day:
> >
> >   1. Discussion? (3)

> > Date:    Thu, 10 Aug 2000 22:32:43 +0100
> > From:    "Quentin L. Burrell"
> > Subject: Discussion?
>
> Yes. I agree. Let me add some comment along
> Quentin's (abbreviated)
> text;
>
> > 1. For me, one of the major disappointments of
> SIGMETRICS has >
> been the lack of discussion or debate.
>
> A year ago, I (S.M.) wrote to the SIGMETRICS list:

> > Dear SIGMETRICSians,
> >
> > Out of 107 postings on our list so far, the
> archives yield 20 items
> > after a "substring search" for IMPACT FACTOR .
> There is thus
> > already a "respectful" thread. Those
> postings/references deal with
> > the JOURNAL CITATION REPORTS (JCR) impact factors
> in a
> > laudable or critical way, but quite a number of
> them indicate a new
> > approach in "constructing" the impact factors for
> "non-ISI"journals, > i.e. those which are NOT within
> the ISI
> selection for regular
> > coverage, but have nevertheless been cited by
> them, as evidenced
> > by the  records within the citation indexes. They
> are, however,
> kind > of "hidden data".
> >
> > According to Van Hooydonk, G. and Milis-Proost, G.
>  /(1997),
> > Measuring impact by a full option method and the
> notion of
> > bibliometric spectra, Proceedings of the Sixth
> Conference of the
> > international Society for Scientometrics and
> Informetrics,
> > Jerusalem Israel, pp.449-461/  N. Bayers and H.
> Small (from ISI)
> > estimated in 1996 that between 50 and 70% of all
> citations
> >(depending on the particular ISI index) are to
> non-ISI journals.
> >
> > After 20 years of my meandering attempts to bring
> to the attention
> > of the mainstream science communities that the
> citation indexes
> > could be exploited one step further in evaluating
> the journals from
> > the peripheral scientific communities  /Maricic, S
> (1997), The
> > mainstream peripheral science communication,
> Technoscience,
> > Winter 1997, vol. 10, Number 1, also in
>
> <http://www.cis.vt.edu/technoscience/97win/comm.htm>
> /
>
> > I eventually propounded a concrete proposal
> /Maricic, S (1998),
> > The missing link - The mainstream-peripheral
> science
> > communication, Current Science (India),
> 75(5):427-428, and on
> > 28th January 1999, for the World Conference on
> Science in

> [...]

=====
Eugene Garfield, President, American Society for Information Science & Technology
 www.asis.orgChairman Emeritus, ISI,3501 Market St,Philadelphia, PA 19104
 www.isinet.comPublisher,THE SCIENTIST,3600 Market St,Philadelphia,PA 19104
 www.the-scientist.comTel: 215-243-2205 // Fax: 215-387-1266 // E-mail: garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu
 Personal Web site: www.eugenegarfield.org