ABS: Chakrabarti, Surfing the Web Backwards

Gretchen Whitney gwhitney at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Tue Nov 23 18:09:57 EST 1999

PT J
AU Chakrabarti, S
   Gibson, DA
   McCurley, KS
TI Surfing the Web backwards
SO COMPUTER NETWORKS-THE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF COMPUTER AND
   TELECOMMUNICATIONS NETWORKING
LA English
DT Article
SN 1389-1286
PU ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
C1 IBM Corp, Almaden Res Ctr, 650 Harry Rd, MS B2, San Jose, CA
   95120 USA.
   IBM Corp, Almaden Res Ctr, San Jose, CA 95120 USA.
   Univ Calif Berkeley, Dept Comp Sci, Berkeley, CA 94720 USA.
   Indian Inst Technol, Dept Comp Sci & Engn, Bombay 400076, Maharashtra, India.
DE backlinks; navigation
AB From a user's perspective, hypertext links on the Web form a
   directed graph between distinct information sources. We
   investigate the effects of discovering 'backlinks' from Web
   resources, namely links pointing to the resource. We describe
   tools for backlink navigation on both the client and server
   side, using an applet for the client and a module for the
   Apache Web server. We also discuss possible extensions to the
   HTTP protocol to facilitate the collection and navigation of
   backlink information in the World Wide Web. (C) 1999 Published
   by Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.
BP 1679
EP 1693
PG 15
JI Comput. Netw.
PY 1999
PD MAY 17
VL 31
IS 11-16
GA 202PZ
PI AMSTERDAM
RP McCurley KS
   IBM Corp, Almaden Res Ctr, 650 Harry Rd, MS B2, San Jose, CA 95120 USA.
J9 COMPUT NETW
PA PO BOX 211, 1000 AE AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS
UT ISI:000080662500045
ER

c. ISI, reprinted with permission
Please visit their website at www.isinet.com