WEB: Bibliometrics site

J. Stephen Downie jdownie at UIUC.EDU
Thu Jun 17 07:50:30 EDT 1999

Greetings Colleagues:

I got a chuckle out of the posting below. I am quite
familiar with the "Grumpy Drivers"site mentioned by Gretchen. It is, in fact,
a group-work submission from my LIS380 (Fall 1998) at GSLIS, UIUC.
LIS380 is the introductory course on issues pertaining to Information
Organization and Access. The assignmnet given to this group was to find
and present materials that would enhance the then-upcoming lecture
on bibliometrics/informetrics as a collection development and analysis
tool(something I personally believe to be very important).

I mention this because the material found in the site represents the students'
understanding of the material *before* they had any formal introduction to the
topic. In fact, they had been in the LIS programme only a few short weeks
before they submitted this assignment. So, if you find any factual errors in
the work, please be understanding.

Also, if you find the site useful, I would appreciate hearing from you. As I
mentioned before this is a student project and as such, is not archived
anywhere. If you think it should be mounted permanently, I will try to contact
the students involved.

PS. The "Grumpy Drivers" is the name the group chose to use because each member
of the group drove great distances each Friday morning to attend the lectures.

Cheers,
Stephen

***********************
> Date:          Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:30:21 -0400
> From:          Gretchen Whitney <gwhitney at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU>
> Subject:       [SIGMETRICS] WEB: Bibliometrics site
> To:            SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu

> Of possible interest:
>
> Bibliometrics, Brought to you by the Grumpy Drivers (Graduate School of
> LIS, Univ. Illinois, Urbana-Champaign)
> http://alexia.lis.uiuc.edu/~astander/biblio.html
>
> The site contains a beginner's guide to bibliomeetrics, introductions to
> Lotka's Law, Bradford's Law, Garfield's Law and a glossary.
>
> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
> Gretchen Whitney, PhD                                     tel 423.974.7919
> School of Information Sciences                            fax 423.974.4967
> University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN 37996 USA           gwhitney at utk.edu
> http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/

J. Stephen Downie
PhD candidate
Graduate Programmes in Library and Information Science
Faculty of Information and Media Studies
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario, Canada

and,
Lecturer,
Graduate School of Library and Information Science,
(217) 352-7422