[Sigmet-officers] ASIST Panel

Jason Priem jp at jasonpriem.org
Tue Apr 3 20:50:13 EDT 2012

Great start, Stasa!

One idea that might be fun is to incorporate a hands-on or workshop
component. I don't think there's be much time for it in the session
itself, but we could have sort of a little infovis contest with a
certain dataset. If you introduced it at the beginning of the
conference and gave folks like 24 hours, you could then show off the
top ones at the panel, as examples of some good techniques and tools.
folks could use their laptops, or low-fi paper techniques like we did
for our ASIST panel poster last year.

Wouldn't be too much extra work. Downsides are that 1) someone's got
to come up with the dataset and scenario, 2) maybe no one would be
interested in participating. Whether with this or something else,
though, it's be great to find a way to incorporate a hands-one
component if we can.

Also: I'd love to be involved in the panel...have done some
interactive infovis stuff with js like <http://feedvis.com> and more
static stuff with R and ggplot like
<http://jasonpriem.org/self-archived/5uni-poster.png>. could talk
about theory, emerging tools, or the artistic/humanistic side of
infovis (used to be an artist yay :)

Would totally cast a vote for Scott...he's a standup guy and very
engaging (at least one-on-one, never seen him present)

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Stasa Milojevic <smilojev at indiana.edu> wrote:
> Dear all-
>
> I've started working on the ASIS&T panel on Information Visualization.
> Here are some of the ideas I have:
>
> TITLE: Information Visualization State-of-the-Art and Future Directions
>
> PROPOSAL:
> -Information Visualization as a thriving and rapidly expanding area.
> -A brief history: we've come a long way from graphs, charts and
> hierarchical trees to interactive maps, graphs, etc.
> -Information Visualization as a process vs. final product
> -What is the role of Information Visualization today? Is it a method, a
> set of techniques used to visually represent data? Is it used for
> depiction or scientific exploration?
> -The influence of large data set and powerful tools.
> -The visualization within and outside metrics community (e.g., in
> digital humanities, and other fields).
>
> FORMAT OF THE PANEL:
> -Brief introduction to the topic followed by each participant giving a
> short presentation on what he/she thinks are the current best practices,
> what are the main challenges, where the participant sees the field
> moving in the next few years.
> -Open discussion with the audience.
>
> PARTICIPANTS:
> -I believe we should have a mix of senior and junior scholars. We should
> also have people who bring somewhat different perspectives.
>
> -If you are interested in participating in the panel please let me know.
> Also, below is a list of some of the names that come to mind as
> potential participants.
>
> -Katy Borner, Loet Leydesdorff, Kevin Boyack, Chaomei Chen, Henry Small,
> Howard White, Kate McCain, Angela Zoss, Scott Weingart, John Walsh,
> Yanni Loukissas.
>

> Any suggestions/comments are welcome. Also, does anyone have proposals
> for a different panel to be supported by ASIST?
>
> Best,
> Stasa

Jason Priem
UNC Royster Scholar
School of Information and Library Science