[SigLT-L] 2004 Planning meeting summary

Cindy Campbell ccampbll at dejazzd.com
Sat Dec 4 15:42:22 EST 2004

Hi everyone,

During the 2004 annual ASIST conference a group of us met to plan for the
2005 year. We missed those of you who could not make it to the meeting and
we hope to see you next year.

The 2005 officers include:

*	Chair - Cindy Campbell : ccampbll at alum.bucknell.edu
*	Chair-elect - Rafel Kasprowski : rkasprowski at uh.edu
*	Secretary - Ann Eagan : ann.eagan at nau.edu
*	Email list Moderator - Ranti Junus : junus at mail.lib.msu.edu
*	Webmaster for communications - Cindy Campbell :
ccampbll at alum.bucknell.edu

Mark Needleman is the out going chair for 2004 - thanks Mark!!

At the meeting we discussed what sessions the LT group could sponsor for the
2005 conference and how we could promote the library technologies group to
other members of the organization. A summary of Ann Eagan's notes from the
planning session are as follows:

Possible sessions for 2005

Topics Include:

*	Electronic Resource Management Systems

*	Leader: Rafel <mailto:rkasprowski at uh.edu>  Kasprowski
*	Potential co-sponsor: Standards Committee

*	PDA usage

*	Idea: explore how PDA are used and the benefits of using them for
collection development purposes
*	Proposal Leader: Colleen Cuddy <mailto:cuddy at library.med.nyu.edu>
*	Potential Co-sponsors: SIG-USE

*	RFID

*	Proposal Leader: Mark <mailto:markn at sirsi.com>  Needleman

*	Laptop usage

*	Idea: loaning out laptops to student for library research in
libraries using wireless technology.
*	Proposal Leader: Cindy Campbell <mailto:ccampbll at alum.bucknell.edu>

*	Interactions between libraries and course management systems

*	Proposal Leader: Cindy Campbell <mailto:ccampbll at alum.bucknell.edu>

*	Libraries and GIS

*	Idea: exploring how libraries are using GIS info to determine where
new libraries, schools, etc. should be built and how they may use the
demographic information to anticipate changes in services. Secondly, how
libraries bring geospatial information together with manuscripts, photos,
etc.
*	Proposal Leader: Ann Eagan
<mailto:ann.eagan at nau.edu?subject=Libraries%20and%20GIS>
*	Potential co-sponsors: Digital Libraries, SIG-MGT

*	Libraries shifting from portal usage to content management systems

*	Proposal Leader: Cindy Campbell <mailto:ccampbll at alum.bucknell.edu>

*	Libraries and the semantic web

*	Proposal Leader: ?
*	Potential Co-sponsors: SIG-USE, SIG-HFIS

If you have any other ideas or have an interest in leading any of the
sessions listed here please let us know ASAP. The proposals for technical
sessions and papers are due January 21 and should be about 2 pages in
length. I or any of the officers of SIG-LT would be happy to help you in any
way.

Publicity ideas:

*	At SIG Rush 2005, in the ASIST conference registration package, or
in the organizations welcoming kit - have something to give to individuals
telling them about the group: small screw driver, flyer, bookmark, etc.
*	Create a monthly, bi-monthly newsletter or brochure
*	Write a column for the Bulletin

If you have any ideas or would like to help with anything please let us
know. The goal is to increase the opportunities available for the members of
the Libraries Technology group to participate in numerous ways. To do this,
we need your help and your ideas. Please do not hesitate to offer either.

Be on the lookout for the first SIG-LT bi-monthly newsletter in January of
2005. If you have anything you would like to include or would like to help
publish this newsletter please let me know.

Thank you for your support.

Cindy Campbell

2005 Chair/Webmaster for Communications of the ASIST SIG-LT group