[Sigkm-l] 1st CfP: Workshop on Knowledge Generation for Case-Based Reasoning @ ICCBR-2010

Kerstin Bach bach at iis.uni-hildesheim.de
Mon Mar 15 14:11:20 EDT 2010

** Apologies for multiple copies due to cross-posting **
** Please distribute to anyone who might be interested **

Call for Papers

Workshop on Workshop on Knowledge Generation for Case-Based Reasoning

At the 18th International Conference on Case-Based Reasoning

Workshop Website: 	http://www.iis.uni-hildesheim.de/KnowGen2010/
Conference: 		http://www.iccbr.org/iccbr10/

Paper submission deadline: *April 23, 2010*

Case-based Reasoning systems rely on their underlying knowledge that is
organized in knowledge containers and required for each phase of the
case-based problem-solving process. The knowledge acquisition is a core
task during the development of Case-Based Reasoning systems. Once a
Case-Based Reasoning system is running, the knowledge within the
knowledge containers has to be maintained in order to keep the system
up-to-date. The generation and usage of knowledge affects all areas of
Case-Based Reasoning: the generation of vocabulary knowledge, the
specification of similarity measures or the adaptation of retrieved
solutions.

The workshop focuses on methods for supporting the automated
generation/acquisition of knowledge for Case-Based Reasoning systems. We
are looking for approaches that contribute to any one of the knowledge
containers or the phases of the case-based problem-solving process. An
important and special case is knowledge about similarity, because cases
are selected based on their similarity to a current problem description.
Since similarity measures usually contain significant domain knowledge,
knowledge generation plays a major role in the development of similarity
measures.

Naturally, the knowledge generated is uncertain. Representing and
processing this uncertainty (which corresponds to a kind of
meta-knowledge, i.e., knowledge about the knowledge) in an adequate way
is an important issue that should also be addressed in the workshop.
Especially in knowledge areas with complex, approximate, imprecise cases
and heterogeneous domains, the domain knowledge is usually uncertain and
incomplete. We are interested in examining how reliable the acquired
knowledge is, or what confidence we have in it as well as the types of
uncertainty that need to be determined and dealt with using appropriate
methods and techniques.

The organizers welcome contributions on the topic of:

	* Assigning confidence
	* Automatic case generation adaptation knowledge generation
	* Maintenance knowledge
	* Probabilistic reasoning and Bayesian methods,
	* Fuzzy sets, possibility theory, evidence theory,
	* Rough sets and information theory,
	* Neural networks and evolutionary computation,
	* Machine learning and data mining algorithms
	* Case and knowledge representation, acquisition, and modeling,
	* Maintenance and management of CBR systems,
	* Case indexing and retrieval,
	* Similarity assessment and adaptation
	* Flexible similarity measures,
	* Similarity measures for complex, imprecise and heterogeneous case
domains,
	* Maintenance of corporate memories,
	* Instance-based and case-based learning,
	* Confidence,
	* CBR applications.

--------------
  Submissions
--------------

We encourage submissions of papers that report on advances in these core
areas. In addition to full papers we also encourage submissions
presenting more preliminary results and discussing open problems, for
example, dealing with insights or important open problems for future
research derived from the construction and use of applications.
Correspondingly, two types of contributions will be solicited, namely
short communications (short talks) and full papers (long talks).

We also encourage authors to submit papers complementing possible
submissions to the main ICCBR conference, for example, papers presenting
preliminary extensions or explicitly focusing on unsolved problems. In
this case, we only ask to inform us about the existence of a related
conference submission and its title.

Workshop papers should be submitted in Springer LNCS format, which is
the format required for the final camera ready copy, with a maximum of
10 pages for full and 6 pages for short papers. Authors' instructions
along with LaTeX and Word macro files are available on the web at:
http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html

Submissions should be made through the knowledge generation workshop
track on the conference management system: EasyChair:
https://www.easychair.org/login.cgi?conf=iccbr2010.

---------------------
  Deadlines and Dates
---------------------

- April 23, 2010:   Deadline for workshop paper submission
- May 10, 2010:     Notification of acceptance for workshop papers
- May 28, 2010:     Final camera ready copies due
- July 20, 2010:    Workshops held at ICCBR 2010 (in parallel)

---------------------
  Workshop Organizers
- Kerstin Bach, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Hildesheim,
Germany
- Eyke Hüllermeier, Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science,
University of Marburg, Germany
- Miltos Petridis, University of Greenwich, UK

--
Kerstin Bach, M.Sc.
Office: + 49 (5121) 883 754	    University of Hildesheim