[Sigkm-l] (Event) Taxonomy Evaluation Considerations - October 7th Taxonomy Community of Practice Call

Rebecca Allen rebecca at earley.com
Fri Oct 2 13:45:11 EDT 2009

Invitation
Please join us for our monthly Taxonomy Community of Practice Call. This month's session discusses Taxonomy Evaluation Considerations.

Date:  Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Time:  1:00 - 2:00 Eastern Time
Cost:  $50

To register, visit: http://www.earley.com/webinars/taxonomy-evaluation-considerations

Taxonomies evolve over time and without periodic evaluation can become stale, disorganized, and structurally unsound. Bad navigation leads to bad user experiences. Your website taxonomy also impacts search engine rankings, but how do you balance search engine optimization needs with good navigation? In this session we will discuss the value of evaluating taxonomy for improving user experience and SEO, including the latest best practices.

Joseph Busch of Taxonomy Strategies will introduce several types of taxonomy validation based on three key areas - initial design, usability testing, and post-launch evaluations, including some new twists on the usual tried and true taxonomy usability testing methods.

Mike Shulha of Earley & Associates continues with a discussion on addressing the "usability black holes" that arise when putting off periodic taxonomy evaluations. Learn critical guidelines for aligning SEO efforts with taxonomy evaluation in order to optimize usability from all perspectives.

Hear What You Missed: Fall Jumpstart Series.
We're halfway through our free 4-part Fall Jumpstart series. The introductory session held September 24 discussed practical applications of social computing tools and technologies, including a presentation from John Greene, Managing Director at Guy Carpenter & Company. John provided an insider perspective on Guy Carpenter's entrance into the "new frontier" of social media.

Our second session on October 1 featured a case study on implementing an enterprise taxonomy to support customer service and underwriting processes, including the migration of 200 million underwriting documents.

Mark your calendar for next Thursday October 8, 1p-2:30p ET, for insights on the latest techniques insurance industry leaders are using for managing knowledge assets and collaboration.

Register now for access to the recordings and future sessions: http://www.earley.com/webinars/jumpstarts/insurance-and-content-management

Participate in our Insurance Industry Research Project, read more here: http://www.earley.com/news/2009/09/17/open-participation-insurance-industry-metadata-survey

Thank you,

Rebecca Allen