[Sigkm-l] help--need database software advice

Rachel Holzaepfel rachel.holzaepfel at stack.com
Tue Sep 9 09:21:35 EDT 2008

Hello listserv members,

I'm a fairly recent Kent State MLIS grad who just started a new
professional position which involves major records management. As I'm new
to this field, I would like (and need!) advice. My question is basically
about content management software.

My company is a sports media organization. I have a big task ahead--to
archive basic details about thousands of videos and articles my company
has produced. I would love recommendations about appropriate software to
do this.

Here are more details about what kind of software I need and what I'm
looking for:

-I'm looking to archive information about thousands of videos and
articles. Basically, I want a program where I can easily input details
about each video and article

-I need up to 12 categories to describe each article or video

-My computer will likely be the only one that has the program on it, so
there has to be a way to back up on the server what I've archived

-I use a dell, so it has to be pc compatible

Currently the company is using Excel to store this archived material. It
works, but is a bit messy and hard to use.

Does anyone recommend FileMaker or Access? Any other programs?

I would appreciate ANY help or advice--thanks so much!

--
Rachel Holzaepfel
Content Operations
e: rachel.holzaepfel at stack.com