[Sigkm-l] HBR Review on Breakthrough Thinking

Mark Montgomery markm at kyield.com
Sun Feb 25 13:57:20 EST 2007

Hi folks,

I picked up the HBR Review on Breakthrough Thinking at an airport last week,
and wanted to share for those interested within the KM umbrella in
creativity within organizations, and what I feel is an essential aspect of
organizational learning that is often overlooked and misunderstood,
including within academia- motivation. One of the problems I see with
research in organizational management is the cultural influence of the
research communities that often assumes other cultures and missions to be
similar to their own, or an assumption that they should be. In my own
research for example I find most of society far less intrinsically motivated
than most researchers in academia, in large part due to the decrease in job
and financial security.

In any event, think you'll find it worth your time and investment if you
share an interest in this area, and regardless of what your own positions
are to date.

Harvard Business Review on Breakthrough Thinking (Paperback)
http://www.amazon.com/Harvard-Business-Review-Breakthrough-Thinking/dp/157851181X

One article in particular is dated but timeless: How to Kill Creativity, by
Teresa M. Amabile
http://harvardbusinessonline.hbsp.harvard.edu/b01/en/common/item_detail.jhtml?id=98501

Regards, Mark

Mark Montgomery