[Sigkm-l] SIG-KM for ASIST

Deborah Swain swainham at msn.com
Tue Jun 20 18:06:52 EDT 2006

Hi, ASIS&T members and SIG/KM participants --

I have good news. Two panels that we are sponsoring will be part of ASIST
2006!  The "Virtual Communities & Social Networks" and the "Innovations in
Knowledge Management" panels will be presented. I want to thank the
organizers, Qiping Zhang and Anne Rogers, for working so hard. (The latter
panel is co-sponsored by SIG-MGT.) Final drafts of topic descriptions are
due this week. Thank you in advance, Anne and Qiping, for coordinating the
efforts and responding to reviewers.

Everyone, please plan to attend November 3-9 in Austin and then come to our
SIG-KM panels!!!

I also want to thank other submitters of papers and panels on KM. I was
disappointed to discover that two of our panels were not accepted but only
hope we can continue to show all our ASIST colleagues the value that KM adds
to Information Science in terms of both research and real world
applications. I sense a "chicken vs. the egg" dilemma affecting some views
of KM. Personally I believe universities need KM educational programs and
businesses need to use KM in organizational design. But we will just have to
discuss these issues in future panels --let's plan on it!

Thank YOU for keeping KM growing. Let me know if you want to do anything
extra in Austin. We can call a special meeting in addition to the schedules
times. Let me know. Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Regards, Deborah Swain
p.s.If you are going to the ICKM July 31-August 2 in Greenwich/London, let
us know. I plan to go.

Dr. Deborah E. Swain
North Carolina Central University
School of Library and Information Sciences
Room 321, Shepard Library
PO Box 19586
Durham, NC 27707
Campus Phone: 919-530-7502