[Sigkm-l] Follow-Up AUSTIN Meeting 2006 --6 weeks to go

Deborah Swain swainham at msn.com
Tue Dec 5 12:25:12 EST 2006

Greetings all!
Where did November go??!!! Thank you all for support in Austin. I am
attaching file with completed minutes (thanks to Qiping for her initial
notes) from our 2006 SIG-KM meeting in Austin. Wow. What a great meeting.
Good attendance. Good ideas flowing. Go KM!!!   So....

ARE YOU READY TO FOLLOW UP?   I will be sending details on ideas to
individuals and also the minutes (again) to all who attended and may not yet
have joined SIG or ASIST. We sure can feel strong and relevant as we plan
for 2007. The theme is just right for us -- "Joining Research and Practice:
Social Computing and Information Science," and the meeting is to be October
18-25 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (Hyatt Regency).

Proposals are DUE JANUARY 21 (Sunday). WE HAVE 6 WEEKS TO PREPARE!!! I will
send more details soon.  Let's all work together. If you need help, let me
know. Here are some of the ideas we discussed last month:
1) Specific panels were suggested:
	Issues in non-traditional KM research and practice (Jim Dobbins)
	Issues in traditional KM research and practice
	Social Networking and self-organizing clusters
.	How categorizing threads helps eliminate opposition to sharing in KM, and
provides value in shared reports, etc. (Matt Chapman)
2)Ideas and new formats:
	Knowledge café (Deborah S. and Suliman H.)
	Speed dating among practitioners (Anne Rogers) Note: Jim D. suggested Ron
Cross at UVA with software to facilitate fast-meeting.
	Perhaps we should encourage a poster session to define competitive
intelligence so similar practitioners would connect with KM. (Tao Jin).
Note: there were more posters than papers this year.
	Pay for a speaker – get a corporate sponsor or vendor to provide more
refreshments after panels and speakers (Tracy Bradley with Deborah S. and
Mary D

Regards, Deborah Swain
Dr. Deborah E. Swain, Ph.D.
School of Library and Information Sciences
NC Central University, PO Box 19586
Durham, NC  27707
Phone: 919-833-9028   Campus Phone: 530-7502
Email: dswain at nccu.edu  or swainham at msn.com
Fax: 919-530-6402