[Sigkm-l] Deck the Halls with Boughs of PANELS and PAPERS

Deborah Swain swainham at msn.com
Fri Dec 9 12:11:07 EST 2005

Greetings all--
As SIG Chair I send you all holiday wishes for a great season --with a hint
of holly and suggestion that it would be great to hear from you about panel
presentations, papers or posters.

In Charlotte at our SIG meeting, we had FIVE ideas for panels, but they are
flexible. (Michael Smith posted summaries November 7. See details below.)
Note that I checked with Richard Hill, ASIST Exec. Director, and there is
NOT a limit on number of panels per SIG in Austin.

Do do YOU have a paper or research to report on that is about Knowlege
Management? Please send me a present/gift ---that is, YOUR title or topic
idea. Then let me try to return to you a happy new year proposal. It is your
SIG! Let's have some great sessions in Austin next November! (Due dates are
February 13 for panels/long papers and February 25 for posters/short
papers.)

Best wishes to you and yours for a safe holiday season,
Dr. Deborah Swain
NC Central University
(919-833-9028)

1) “Virtual Communities & Social Networks: Three Approaches to KM” (to
underscore the following 3 KM topic areas proposed for a KM at ASIST):
·	Knowledge Sharing and Social Networks (with domains as topic)
·	Social Network Analysis (method of studying unofficial networks)
·	Social Software (Blogs and Wikis as tools)
Proposer/Moderator: Qiping Zhang, qiping at drexel.edu

2) “KM as Management of Ideas and Innovations” (panel discussing how
companies are using KM techniques to manage these creative processes and may
include white papers/demos from businesses or consultants as well as
research reports; goal is to emphasize KM innovations)
Note: Because “the medium is the message” panel might use video technology
and other high tech presentation tools to underscore the real possibilities
of future digital tools (conference theme).
Proposer/Moderator: Anne Rogers, nanne_rogers at cargill.com

3) “Knowledge Realities: Emergency Management / Disaster Recovery” (Apply
conference theme to real threats to public health and agriculture, such as,
food contamination. Examine the capture and sharing of information/knowledge
dealing with preparedness, recovery, society and global issues. How KM and
SI can use digital resources to lessen effects of real dangers?)
Note: Possible joint panel proposal with SIG SI (Social Informatics),
formerly SIG TIS (Technology, Information, and Society)
Proposer/Moderator: Claire McInerney, clairemc at scils.rutgers.edu
Call for Papers: Michael Smith, michaelsmith at tamu.edu (research at Texas A&
M)
Call for Papers: Kelly Green, kgreen at vrs.state.va.us (future global and
government issues)

4) “Collaboration in the Design and Development of Knowledge Management
Systems”
(focus on access systems that support biotechnology, medical informatics,
educational resources, and communities of practice (CoP) in public health).
Theme: How Collaboration Can Shape the Future. Possible issues related to
HIPPA compliance, MESH, Med-Line, NSF, NSDL, and
Proposer/Moderator: Deborah Swain, swainham at msn.com

5) “Digital Libraries as Knowledge Repositories “
Possible joint panel proposal with SIG DL (Digital Libraries) on the purpose
of maintaining digital data, for example, for future transformation into
information that can be stored in knowledge bases for decision making.
Co-Proposer/Moderator: Luz Quiroga, lquiroga at hawaii.edu
Co-Proposer/Moderator: Kelly Green, kgreen at vrs.state.va.us