[May Be Spam] RE: [Sigkm-l] Annual ASIST Planning Meeting Recap

Kelly A Green kgreen at vrs.state.va.us
Wed Dec 15 08:43:50 EST 2004

I would love to know more about other's experiences in this area!
We have just implemented a part of a portal and a limited rollout of
collaboration tools.
Our previous attempt at providing message boards bombed. We have learned
from that and have changed our approach accordingly. Essentially we need
to first educate the execs and managers before letting it loose to the
agency.

There were a couple instances of censorship when the board was first
released and that completely killed it.
There was no understanding of using these things as a learning tool. Not
only that, misinformation or incomplete information that shows up in
online discussion are reflections of informal knowledge exchanges
already taking place!  It baffles me that the upper level management
would not want to expose these ideas and use this means to correct them;
explaining in what ways they are inaccurate. There are those in the
agency that still have the top down mentality, so we are still
undergoing a cultural change. We are encouraging a mixed approach. As a
government agency, we do have certain things that are top down from the
legislature or board on down.
However, cross divisional teams determine how these things are
implemented. At the front line level, employees do exchange ideas of how
to best accomplish their tasks.

At any rate, does anyone have experience in teaching exec. level
employees about the advantages of free information exchange? I am not at
a level high enough and so have to be sure I don't step on the
administrator's toes when communicating. Our hope is that our pilot
projects which include exec and management level people will allow them
to experience some of these lessons. We have already found more
excitement running through the agency as others are getting wind that a
few people have been using other tools. At this time, we are also
constrained by funds for licenses.

Kelly Ann Green
KMS Content Analyst
Virginia Retirement System