[Sigkm-l] KM Audits

Mark A Montgomery montgomery_mark at juno.com
Fri Apr 12 14:34:18 EDT 2002

Hi Jack,

I agree with you to a point. If you are responding to my comment about
automating the audit, I carefully said:

"as much of the process that we find optimum"

I don't want to go into great detail in public, but the reasons for
deciding which specific portions of the audit to automate (or not) are
for audit quality purposes, or in other words are the areas where an
automated process provides more truth, better documentation, and/or
security.

Perhaps more important to this topic; it is not possible for the thought
leader with the deepest domain knowledge to be physically in two places
at one time (or any other mortal). However, by automating part of the
process, it is possible to leverage the best minds that would otherwise
not even be available, and provide an incentivized format for thought
leaders to share a lifetime of investment in a useful and appropriate
manner.

An audit is difficult to automate, and at this point I for one am not
certain the entire process could be automated, or even if that attempt
should be made at this early stage of evolution. However, I am certain
that audit processes that don't pro-actively deal with the inherent
conflicts, like between the consultant and client, and the consultant and
his/her company, cannot be as valuable as those that do, all else being
equal.

No question that one-on-one interviews conducted by an experienced
professional is often the best path, also true that for some issues it is
not necessary or desirable for an outside consultant to have access to
certain pieces of information, so we've found a combination of the two to
be most effective at this stage.

All humans, including consultants & knowledge system architects, can only
access and understand a small portion of our memory, we rarely share that
portion in an efficient manner, and more enduring/problematic; few of us
have meaningful personal incentives to even make the attempt. These
issues are far more important than automating part of an audit, but are
related to doing so.

That is to say that automating the audit process is not (for me) in the
top ten priorities in the design of a comprehensive knowledge system, but
the design of the audit process is.

.02

Mark Montgomery
Founder