[Sigiii-l] Fwd: [ciresearchers] Reminder -- Deadline 11 May for CIRN Prato 2018 abstracts is approaching!

Michel Menou michel.menou at orange.fr
Sat May 12 09:22:38 EDT 2018

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[ciresearchers] Reminder -- Deadline 11 May for CIRN Prato
2018 abstracts is approaching!
Date: 	Mon, 7 May 2018 13:11:40 +1000
From: 	Larry Stillman <larry.stillman at monash.edu>
To: 	ciresearchers at vancouvercommunity.net

Dear Colleagues,

Abstracts for the conference are arriving, but don't be late. The
deadline for abstracts is 11 May 2018.

Please also forward to colleagues.

THIS YEAR'S THEME: RESEARCH, PRACTICE AND CREATIVE ENDEAVOUR THAT AIM TO
SHAPE AND INFLUENCE POLICY AND PROGRAMS"

Most often, we want our work to have influence.

Whether in Community Informatics, Development Informatics, Community
Archives, or Art, and Archives Memories and ICTs projects involving
ICTs, we aim for activity that influences not just future projects or
research programs, but also government policy. However, the interests of
different audiences (the academy, communities on the ground, NGOs,
funders, policy makers) are not necessarily congruent when it comes to
being influenced by the impacts, outcomes, value and worth of a project
program, or more abstract research. Choices need to be made.

The attempt to shape and influence on the basis of research and practice
is sometimes expressed as utilization-focussed evaluation "The focus in
utilization-focused evaluation is on supporting intended use by intended
users. The essence of this approach is a continual examination of and
adaptation to how real people in the real world apply evaluation
findings and how they experience the evaluation process" (Michael Quinn
Patton). But who are the users here? And what is the real world? Who has
control?

     Just what do "shape and influence mean?" For what purposes? Do we
become too constrained by trying to "shape and influence" institutions?
     What about the general space of public discourse, policy, and
influence particularly via new media as an alternate means of shaping
and influencing?
     What are good (and bad) examples of shaping and influencing?
     What are the opportunities and constraints with attempting to shape
and influence policies and programs? Can it stifle free inquiry and
discourse when there are findings that surprise or raise controversy?
     Even if the utilization of research and practice are not the key
purpose of project or program activity, what assumptions are made about
what counts as important or will have influence in reporting to funders,
policy-makers and others, including communities themselves?
     Can the focus on future utilization result in hindering innovation
or experimentation? What forms of research and practice are most useful
in meeting this challenge? Are they a help or hindrance?
     What is the place of community-based research in such an
orientation? Who leads? Who follows? Whose voices count?
     How is research/practice messaged to different audiences for impact?
     Is seeking to influence in a neoliberal environment turning
scholarship and practice into commodities for selection? Are there novel
perspectives/approaches/methodologies that help expose underlying
assumptions implicit in neoliberal approaches to ICT-related contexts?
What are innovative solutions to these persistent challenges?
     What are the alignments and discontinuities between bottom-up
ideals that are often process driven and the demands of funders and
policy-makers for "useful" and "accountable research and practice? What
has worked or not worked for you? Can the imposition of requirements be
used as a form of power and control? What forms of reporting have been
or could be most useful to different audiences?
     We are particularly interest in papers that can report on and
theorize these problems in community informatics, development
informatics, community archives the arts/archives community.

We welcome papers (referred, work-in-progress, non- refereed),
presentations and papers (including Graduate student presentations)
related to any aspect of Community Informatics Community Archiving, or
Development Informatics, or the Art, and Archives Memories and ICTs
space. We are particularly interested in papers from researchers and
practitioners that can address the challenges of locating
community-focussed research within wider theoretical and practice
frameworks.

More information: https://sites.google.com/monash.edu/cirnprato2018/
<https://sites.google.com/monash.edu/cirnprato2018/>

--
**********************
Larry Stillman, PhD

Senior Research Fellow, Faculty of IT
Lead Researcher, PROTIC Monash-Oxfam Project for Information Empowerment
in Bangladesh
Monash University

http://bit.do/lsmonashprofile
www.webstylus.net <http://www.webstylus.net>

61 3 9903 1801
Not of the Academy of Lagado
**********************
Larry Stillman, PhD
Senior Research Fellow, Faculty of IT
Lead Researcher, PROTIC Monash-Oxfam Project for Information Empowerment
in Bangladesh
Monash University

--
**********************
Larry Stillman, PhD

Senior Research Fellow, Faculty of IT
Lead Researcher, PROTIC Monash-Oxfam Project for Information Empowerment
in Bangladesh
Monash University

http://bit.do/lsmonashprofile
www.webstylus.net <http://www.webstylus.net>