[Sigiii-l] Fwd: [ciresearchers] CfP: HCI Across Borders Symposium at CHI 2017

Michel Menou michel.menou at orange.fr
Wed Mar 15 05:09:43 EDT 2017

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[ciresearchers] CfP: HCI Across Borders Symposium at CHI 2017
Date: 	Tue, 14 Mar 2017 23:21:07 -0400
From: 	David Nemer <dnemer at indiana.edu>
To: 	ciresearchers at vancouvercommunity.net, aoir <air-l at listserv.aoir.org>

      Apologies for cross-posting!

    I participated in this Symposium next year, and I highly recomment it.

    ---

    *Call for Proposals*

    HCI Across Borders <http://hcixb.org>
    Symposium in Denver (CO, USA) at CHI 2017
    6th-7th May, 2017

    *_About the Workshop
    _*
    The Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) community at CHI is
    increasingly embracing research being performed on topics and in
    regions that have been understudied in the past. To promote these
    efforts, the Development Consortium Workshop titled *HCI Across
    Borders* was held at CHI 2016 in San Jose. With support from SIGCHI
    and in collaboration with Facebook and Google, it was attended by
    70+ researchers from 20 countries across the globe, with some of
    these countries being represented at CHI for the first time. The
    goal of this Consortium was to build community and invite
    collaborations /across borders/ on themes of interest to the
    participants – those actively involved in international HCI
    projects, with most of them conducting research in understudied
    areas and with underrepresented individuals and communities across
    the world.

    This year marks another milestone as this event has grown to be a
    CHI Symposium. Our goal is to build on the efforts from the
    Development Consortium at CHI 2016 and to grow the community working
    in the area of HCI Across Borders (HCIxB), by providing an
    opportunity for interested researchers to come together as a
    community, improve the visibility of their work, and to bring
    greater awareness to the challenges that plague international
    research, particularly research that takes place in
    resource-constrained settings, to the larger HCI community.

    *_Participation_*

    We solicit participation from HCI researchers and practitioners
    across the globe who work with underserved, underrepresented, and/or
    under-resourced communities. We particularly invite participants who
    are keen to explore collaborations across borders. “Borders”, in
    this context, include geographic boundaries, but also boundaries of
    other kinds, such as disciplines, methodologies, ideologies, and
    more. Research areas of focus can be diverse, including but not
    limited to learning, global health, crisis informatics, civic
    engagement, mobile banking, etc.

    While this is no exhaustive list, examples of topics/themes of
    submission might include:

      * Leveraging participatory design and co-design approaches
      * Factoring cultural sensitivities in the design of new
        technologies and/or HCI methods
      * Designing to accommodate power differentials in communities
      * Devising innovative techniques for engaging new technology users
      * Designing for sustainability
      * Studying the intersection of HCI and the UN’s Sustainable
        Development Goals (SDGs)
      * And more!

    These are examples of projects that our Symposium might include, as
    the Consortium did last year
    <https://hci4dacrossborders.wordpress.com/>:

      * Emotional Wellbeing: Technology for Mental Health in Developing
        Countries
      * HCI, Forced Migration & Refugees: Collaborations across Borders
        and Fields
      * ICT Intervention for Agricultural Development: Exploring
        Prospects for Pakistani Farmers
      * Cuba Intercambio: Cultural and Information Exchange for Cuba
      * Online Learning Across Diverse Low-Resource Indian Contexts
      * Cognitive Modeling for Illiteracy Eradication
      * Mobile Technology-Based Supports for Prenatal Care Among the
        Ngäbe in Panama

    *_Submissions
    _*
    Please submit a proposal (3-5 pages in the CHI Extended Abstracts
    <https://chi2017.acm.org/submission-formats.html> format) *starting
    now *and before *April 15th, 2017*. We would appreciate early
    submissions. You will receive a decision within 15 days of
    submitting so you can plan your registration and travels accordingly.

    All submissions will be reviewed by the organizers and a program
    committee. They will be selected in accordance with their potential
    to contribute to the Symposium and to foster discussion. Accepted
    submissions will be available on our website before the conference.
    Authors of accepted submissions will also be invited to present
    posters of their proposals at CHI (although not mandatory).

    Please submit your PDFs at https://hcixb17.hotcrp.com/. Please note
    that we will accept contributions until the number of available
    attendees is reached, which may be before the ultimate deadline.

    *_Bursaries
    _*
    We are working on obtaining funding to pay travel expenses (or at
    least a portion thereof) for attendees in need. Please note that CHI
    guidelines require at least one author of each accepted submission
    to attend and be registered for the Symposium.

    *_Organizers_*

    Neha Kumar, Georgia Tech (USA)
    Susan Dray, Dray & Associates (USA)
    Christian Sturm, Hamm-Lippstadt University of Applied Sciences (Germany)
    Nithya Sambasivan, Google (USA)
    Laura S. Gaytan-Lugo, University of Colima (Mexico)
    Leonel Morales, Francisco Marroquin University (Guatemala)
    Negin Dahya, University of Washington (USA)
    Nova Ahmed, North South University (Bangladesh)

    *_Contact
    _*

    For updates, please check:

    http://hcixb.org <http://hcixb.org/>