[Sigiii-l] Fwd: Hinari in SciDev.Net Weekly Update (7 - 13 February 2011)

Barry Mahon barry.mahon at iol.ie
Tue Feb 15 04:05:32 EST 2011

On 14/02/2011 17:08, M.J. Menou wrote:
>> HINARI and the dream of free journal access
>>

>> A dispute over the HINARI scheme, which gives poor countries free
>   >  access to journals, has exposed the sensitive border between aid and
>   >  commerce, finds Yojana Sharma.
>
>   >
> http://www.scidev.net/en/features/hinari-and-the-dream-of-free-journal-access.html

A long time ago I questioned this so called deal. It was a laudable idea
but the WHO was anxious to raise their profile and were supported by
certain rather histrionic anti-publisher individuals, so they went ahead
with an 'arrangement' - as is pointed out in the article (a good
article, btw) - rather than an agreement. The result was probably
predictable, as the market in the rich countries shrinks, the revenues
need to be maintained.

The wider question is whether the present structure of STM publishing
can be maintained as OA in its various forms gains traction. The SOAP
study by the EU indicates that academics like the OA idea but want to be
published in (mostly commercial) high profile journals.

Bye, Barry