[Sigiii-l] Bi-monthly SIG-III e-mail newsletter

Bowen, Aaron asbowen at csuchico.edu
Fri Oct 2 16:25:56 EDT 2009

Hello everyone!

Two days ago I learned some wonderful news -- news that ASIS&T made public yesterday.  I'm glad to announce that SIG-III has won the SIG of the year award for 2008-2009.  The following is from yesterday's official announcement from ASIS&T:

SIG of the Year: SIG International Information Issues (SIG III)
The 2009 SIG of the Year is SIG International Information Issues (SIG III). One of the jury members summed up the appeal of SIG III very well: "SIG-III has a well-established pattern of service to the international community as well as to the Society. Their membership makes up in enthusiasm what it may lack in size, and they have a large and very task-oriented executive committee. They communicate effectively with their membership through a bi-monthly newsletter, alternating with one to the executive committee. They bring new members into the association through their InfoShare program, and their paper competition is an excellent mechanism for bringing scholars to the conference who would be otherwise unable to attend. Their international reception is one of the highlights of the annual conference, and they make good use of the event as a venue for fundraising for their many awards. As a SIG, they have very high visibility and as a consequence they make all members, not just their own SIG, aware of ASIS&T's potential role in international scholarship." Unlike many other SIGs, III recognizes that the work of this society is not solely accomplished at this annual meeting, but consists of small activities throughout time and space and across national, cultural, and linguistic boundaries. Congratulations to SIG III, and particularly to Aaron Bowen, chair, and all the other officers of SIG III, for being this year's ASIS&T SIG of the Year.

Also, in an informal e-mail, SIG Cabinet Director KT Vaughan let me know that this is the fifth year straight our SIG has won this award.  Thank you all for a wonderful and productive year!

With this announcement, I would also like to pose a challenge for you all.  The challenge is two-fold:

*       One, I would like to call upon everyone to introduce the SIG to any of your colleagues interested in international information.  In our current world of ubiquitous information, it is easy to have less familiarity with a body of research, with a current trend, or with a professional organization than we would like -- being in the same boat myself, I'm all too familiar with this issue.  I find that when I have a personalized introduction to a body of scholarship, trending topic, or professional society, I have more incentive to pay attention to it, and I remember more about it.  With that in mind, I invite you to introduce SIG-III (and ASIS&T more broadly) to any of your colleagues who either aren't yet familiar with the organization, or have only a passing familiarity.

*       Two, my fellow SIG Officers any myself would love to hear about your research and conference presentations.  If you are publishing a paper or giving a presentation on an international information-related topic, tell us about it!  We are always glad to know about our members research endeavors, and to facilitate connections between researchers where they have common research interests.  You can let either me or incoming Chair Kate Johnson (cjohn24 at uwo.ca) know about your work.

Beyond that, if you will be at this year's ASIS&T Annual Meeting, I look forward to seeing you in Vancouver!

Aaron Bowen
SIG-III Chair
California State University, Chico
asbowen at csuchico.edu